Flavoured Gins

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pvt_ak

Budding Brewer !
Reaction score
SWMBO costs me a fortune in flavoured Gins.
Earl Grey and Rhubarb two of her current shop bought favourites.

Anyone practice this craft and recipes to share ?
Going to give it a bash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dont like spirits but surely it's just a case of chucking your favourite flavouring into the gin and waiting a couple of weeks.

This is one method, after all, to get flavours, like vanilla, chocolate, etc, etc into beer. You then just chuck the flavoured spirit (usually vodka) in to the beer.

I once saw a vodka bar in Birmingham, with loads of bottles of vodka but with different classic sweeties in each bottle to flavour the vodka

I dont like spirits but surely it's just a case of chucking your favourite flavouring into the gin and waiting a couple of weeks.

This is one method, after all, to get flavours, like vanilla, chocolate, etc, etc into beer. You then just chuck the flavoured spirit (usually vodka) in to the beer.

I once saw a vodka bar in Birmingham, with loads of bottles of vodka but with different classic sweeties in each bottle to flavour the vodka

Seems so , just found a rhubarb version which is:

X Rhubarb
X Sugar
X Lemon Juice

All in - two weeks and strain.

Waitrose and M&S have been fleecing me all these years !

I've got a little kit for infusing, two 200ml bottles, a funnel and a strainer to fit inside the funnel. It's fun, start with cheap vodka and bung a bit of stuff in the bottle then strain off. I takes surprisingly little time, juniper berries turn vodka into something that tastes like gin in 24 hours. I've only done it with spices so far, if you used fruit and sugar you'd be sweetening the end product wouldn't you? I'd happily try an earl grey and report back to you, it hadn't occurred to me!

I've got a little kit for infusing, two 200ml bottles, a funnel and a strainer to fit inside the funnel. It's fun, start with cheap vodka and bung a bit of stuff in the bottle then strain off. I takes surprisingly little time, juniper berries turn vodka into something that tastes like gin in 24 hours. I've only done it with spices so far, if you used fruit and sugar you'd be sweetening the end product wouldn't you? I'd happily try an earl grey and report back to you, it hadn't occurred to me!

Crack on and report back on the Earl Grey [emoji106]

They have a tendency to do that with potcheen here with brandyballs,cloves and pear drops.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

They have a tendency to do that with potcheen here with brandyballs,cloves and pear drops.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Best flavoured poitin i have had was one done with plums, never liked the sweetie flavoured versions.

One of my local(ish) breweries branched out into gin. I hate the stuff (and the beer has gone downhill since the gin took off too), but apparently their rose gin and hop gin a pretty good!

Here is the last one I made:

1 litre 40% vodka
20g juniper berries
3 cardamom pods
3 peppercorns
2g orris root powder
2g liquorice root
2g cassis bark
2g coriander seeds
1g dried lemongrass
1g dried camomile

Left to infuse for 4 days, then filtered through a coffee filter paper back into the vodka bottle.
Comes out brown, but tastes lovely.

8b714eb750159554ff247148fa4c1ac5.jpg

5g Juniper berries
12g Earl Grey tea
150ml vodka

To be continued!

8b714eb750159554ff247148fa4c1ac5.jpg

5g Juniper berries
12g Earl Grey tea
150ml vodka

To be continued!

Strained off today after six days. It's really very tasty. Quite a muddy brown in the bottle but mixed with tonic it's a light orange colour. I can see why brewers use this technique as the earl grey aroma is really sweet and inviting, much more subtle than in a brewed tea. This is great, thanks to Mrs Pvt for the inspiration!

Strained off today after six days. It's really very tasty. Quite a muddy brown in the bottle but mixed with tonic it's a light orange colour. I can see why brewers use this technique as the earl grey aroma is really sweet and inviting, much more subtle than in a brewed tea. This is great, thanks to Mrs Pvt for the inspiration!

Awesome mate - I'll give that one a go.
Where do you get the Juniper berries from ?
I've passed on your thanks to Mrs AK !

Anyone tried infusing with hops? Something thing like cascade?

I haven't tried that, but I do have some cascade aroma oils I got from the Malt Miller, a drop of which goes well in a g&t.

Think it's a visit to aldi and give it a go. I've got 400g of cascade knocking about.
It's just getting the correct amount. I think probably 20g for a litre.

Awesome mate - I'll give that one a go.
Where do you get the Juniper berries from ?
I've passed on your thanks to Mrs AK !

You can buy them in the spice aisle at the supermarket. I've got a gift kit and the juniper berries in that don't look any different

Latest posts

Back