Mosaic Hops....

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RKi

Reaction score
Am i the only one who doesn't like them?

Had a magic rock APA the other day, didn't like it and was massively surprised as i never dislike any Magic Rock beers. Then i had a Kernel IPA hopped with them and didn't like it either, at which point i definitely knew Mosaic was the culprit. I brewed a Simcoe/Mosaic IPA which i didn't care for and thought was poorly brewed initially. Turns out Mosaic was the culprit again.

Find it tastes almost super floral to the point of being chemical-like :S

Anyone else dislike it?

Depends on the person and individual preferences I guess, I personally like Mosaic a lot and will usually buy a beer for the reason it has it.

I'm not a fan of NZ hops in general as I find them too perfumey. They are the only ones I think twice about before buying a beer.

Have you thought about it maybe being the beers that aren't great rather than the hop? If the Kernel was in bottle I am sure it is the beer as they are terrible at bottling and their beers always taste off. On tap they are usually good. I bought 6 Kernel bottled beers a couple weeks ago, all different hops and every one tasted like the same pond water.

If the Magic Rock you're talking about is Tap Type, that does have quite a sherbet taste to it but I liked it a lot.

I find some NZ Hops soapy too. Was The Kernel you bought fresh?

I don't think you're on your own, I've head it described as cat pissy though I don't know what that tastes/smells like. Personally I like mosaic, but I often think I'm alone in disliking cascade. Most seem to love it but I'm not a fan.

mosaic is the only hop I can still taste the morning after. Don't know if that's a good or bad thing though :/

Had a magic rock APA the other day, didn't like it and was massively surprised as i never dislike any Magic Rock beers. Then i had a Kernel IPA hopped with them and didn't like it either, at which point i definitely knew Mosaic was the culprit. I brewed a Simcoe/Mosaic IPA which i didn't care for and thought was poorly brewed initially. Turns out Mosaic was the culprit again.

Anyone else dislike it?

No you are not ! I've 19L in the keg that I don't like, I thought I had caught an infection or something was wrong with the water. Its like a acid / metallic after taste :-(

Sent out a few bottles to mates and they all love it, will not be using it again.

Anyone else dislike it?
Depends on the drink. I've had mosaic that tasted more like a fruit punch, on the other hand Salopian bulletproof is one of my all time favourites.

One of the great things i'm finding about brewing is that quite often beers i brew and have no time for, are loved by others. Can't lose!

Back