wheat beer...suggestions please!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint

Forum jester...🏅🏆
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all
Next up I'm planning a wheat beer. It will be made based around a one can wilko wheat. I'm keen to continue trying partial mash so what can I do to go with the tin? I need to order some hops and other stuff ...I like the sound of the mandarin bavaria, orange flavour..but open to any ideas.

Cheers

Clint

Sounds good. For the partial mash I'd do 50% wheat malt and 50% pilsner. From there you could either go the American route and hop it up (I've never used Mandarina Bavaria but it sounds nice - Amarillo has orange notes too), or go the Belgian route subbing the yeast and using some subdued spicing (I went traditional with this kit using Brewferm Blanche yeast and steeping bitter orange peel and coriander, though I'd probably use a liquid yeast if I were to try the style again, and maybe use a bit of chamomile), or you could go German (I found WLP300 to be absolutely spot on for a refreshing hefeweizen).

Mandarina Bavaria didn't give me an orangey flavour (definitely more of a grapefruit) when I used in in an American Wheat. The hop flavour and aroma has faded very quickly as well and, apart from 4 or 5 bottles I had when it had been bottled less than a month, it's probably my most disappointing beer to date. Especially compared to the IPA I brewed 3 weeks later!

1kg wheat malt and 1kg pale malt would do the job, and give about the same sugars as 1.2kg of DME.
:thumb:
To date i have done a raspberry wheat,a Kiwi wheat and two with corriander and curacao peel. Those were extract brews and all came out quite well.Depends on ones taste really. The Kiwi is interesting:lol:,actually quite refreshing,should be a goodun on a really hot day sitting in the garden.

Ready to make a start on this later in the week....
Been reading my Greg Hughes book...and playing with the recipe builder on here.
I like the sound of the American wheat that includes 300g of carapils and citra at start and end of boiling.
My recipe..
1.5 kg 1 can kit wheat
1.5 kg pale malt
1.5 kg wheat malt
300g
Mash 65 for 1 hour
Boil 70 minutes
17g citra start
26g citra end

Criticism welcome!

Cheers

Clint

Last edited:
Full batch,23 l. I'll mash the grains in my 15 l pot then I'm going to try dunk sparge in a spare fv. Then tip the lot into my pot and do the boil and hop additions, cool slightly then add to fv with the one can kit then top up to 23 l. I done similar with a can of light malt and pale and crystal to make an American style pale and it seems you have turned out fine.

Cheers

Clint

Back