What next?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thebigeasy

Reaction score
My first batch of turbo is finished I have transferred it to a new bottle to get rid of the yeast. I would like to carbonate it but not sure when to do or how to do it. If I am honest I would like to drink it as soon as possible but if its worth leaving a few weeks I suppose I could force myself to leave it.

You say you have transferred it to a new bottle, do you mean a demi john? Have you allowed it to fully clear? If you want to carbonate it you need bottles that will take the pressure of carbonation, depending how much carbonation you want you will need to bottle the cider and then add an adequate amount of priming sugar. Once primed, seal up the bottles and leave well alone for 2-3 weeks at between 15-22c.

You say you have transferred it to a new bottle, do you mean a demi john? Have you allowed it to fully clear? If you want to carbonate it you need bottles that will take the pressure of carbonation, depending how much carbonation you want you will need to bottle the cider and then add an adequate amount of priming sugar. Once primed, seal up the bottles and leave well alone for 2-3 weeks at between 15-22c.
Not proper demijohns but the big plastic water bottles. Not sure how long it should take to fully clear but looks drinkable just now, at least to me. I have some bottles that would be suitable for carbonation, do you need a proper priming sugar or would normal granulated sugar do?

Yes, 3 litre apple juice and a kiwi and red grape juice.

I made some with apple juice (LIDL) and the remains of a beer ferment as yeast. The earlier bottles I opened were rather sour and several (6) months later the cider was much better if a little dry. I think it will be better to wait several months with the cider in a bottle for the malolactic fermentation to take place.

I made some with apple juice (LIDL) and the remains of a beer ferment as yeast. The earlier bottles I opened were rather sour and several (6) months later the cider was much better if a little dry. I think it will be better to wait several months with the cider in a bottle for the malolactic fermentation to take place.
+1 on that.
The one and only turbo cider I made (with loving care) from supermarket AJ took about 12 months before it tasted anything like real cider, and even then it was decidedly watery. I shan't be making any more.

Latest posts

Back