Smartpid has reached production stage!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Druncan

Senior Moments
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting bit of kit I have been following. I think it has been noted before on HBF but it looks like it's here for 100E :thumb: (Actually 137E inc tax and shipping = £117.59)
http://smartpid.com/

I'm working my way through the brewing .pdf and it seems very comprehensive. (update, this may take some time PID's are a bit of beast to get my head around,,,,,,)

Anyone know anything else? or got one?

Does it need external relays to switch say a 3kw heater?

Super VFM imho.. I tried to drum up interest when the crowdfunding didnt look promising?

folk didnt seem to 'get it' perhaps confusion over the name? SmartPid is a very unassuming name for all the tech crammed into such a tiny box, 3 puters iirc..

and 2 complete builds for the firmware, perhaps not quite as adaptable as a brewpi, but all you need do with this is plug it into your system and sensors while brewpi is still a diy build project,

But If running the hot side system there is nothing with all of its features other than custom diy builds and those are a struggle to cram into a shoebox let alone a stc1000 sized box with all the connection options this offers.

yep im a fan ;)

I too have been following this -
What kind of equipment setups does it work with? What kind of wiring skills does a person need?

Super VFM imho.. I tried to drum up interest when the crowdfunding didnt look promising?

folk didnt seem to 'get it' perhaps confusion over the name? SmartPid is a very unassuming name for all the tech crammed into such a tiny box, 3 puters iirc..

and 2 complete builds for the firmware, perhaps not quite as adaptable as a brewpi, but all you need do with this is plug it into your system and sensors while brewpi is still a diy build project,

But If running the hot side system there is nothing with all of its features other than custom diy builds and those are a struggle to cram into a shoebox let alone a stc1000 sized box with all the connection options this offers.

yep im a fan ;)

Was this the crowd funding thing you posted and someone tried shooting you down??

Looks interesting, admitedly as a gas burner and a cool bag brewer doesn't apply to any of mine/.... yet

What would you use it for? mashing and fermenting?

Interestingly, the guide specifically refers to BIAB and stepped mashes with two probes, pump and heater. I think the Ardiuno has brewing software specifically designed for a variety of brews that can be customised.

So, will it be a DIY Ace/brewmeister/GF system, but with more customisability?

Wow, I wasn't expecting that price point. If they can get their PID autotune to work then it could know brewpi out the market.

Interestingly, the guide specifically refers to BIAB and stepped mashes with two probes, pump and heater. I think the Ardiuno has brewing software specifically designed for a variety of brews that can be customised.

So, will it be a DIY Ace/brewmeister/GF system, but with more customisability?

If you have a grainfather with the original control unit and wanted to upgrade to the connect unit, I dont see why you couldnt swap out the STC-100 and replace it with this. Benefit would be wifi where as the connect is only bluetooth, which is ok if you are within range but imho having been using grainfather/connect for a few months now the range is pants.

I too have been following this -
What kind of equipment setups does it work with? What kind of wiring skills does a person need?

you need to be able to connect your equipment and its sensors to the terminals and sockets at the back of the unit. :thumb:

the firmware has got a good pedigree, afaik it all started with Steve Matherson Aka Matho An austrailian brewer who designed and built an arduino based ' The braudino' sharing the s/w and h/w specs and tips for etching your own pcbs etc.. This s/w was then adopted by the OpenArdBir project (same folk are now behind smartpid)

whatever you may want to control for brewing if smartpid cant controll it let em know and it will next month .. just lug in a usb lead to update the system..

It may appear vague as to what it can control but thats because its up to you.. If you can plug it in you can read or control it ;) and you can plug A LOT in, Numerouse ssrs, 2 x 10a ac relays, dc relays multiple sensors...

OpenArdbir has a gas profile Corvich so i assume this does too ;)

2 x 10a ac relays,)
Hi Fil,
That sounds really interesting. But just to clarify, I would need to control A/C relays from the SmartPid and could then connect to my Induction hob to the relays? or Connect the Induction to the SmartPid?

Sorry, i'm a bit slow on electrical matters,,,:oops:

I like the idea of updates as well:thumb:

Hi Fil,
That sounds really interesting. But just to clarify, I would need to control A/C relays from the SmartPid and could then connect to my Induction hob to the relays? or Connect the Induction to the SmartPid?

Sorry, i'm a bit slow on electrical matters,,,:oops:

I like the idea of updates as well:thumb:

The box has 2 x 10a relays built in, tbh i would email Davide Arazman@ smartpid for direction if using an induction hob. Thats outside my experience and reading scope . Dont be shy he is approachable and Very interested in how he can improve the project meeting brewers demands and expectations, or join in the discussion thread over on Jims where Davide is publicising the smartpid..

Generally the dc ssr drive terminals would be employed for heating loads where you would indeed buy/add your own 3rd party SSR/s and heatsink/s to switch the separately supplied loads under pid control. the smartpid would supply a dc drive voltage to rapidly switch the ssr/s on and off according to the pid algorithm
The number of ssrs used dictated by the number of elements you wish to employ, you can drive multiple ssrs and therefore multiple elements via the singe ssr dc output.

the 10a relays are the mechanical type which would not fair well with the rapid switching the pid algorithm employs shortening their lifespan rapidly.
Intended for use with a/c pumps and low draw gentle heating with slow on/off thermostatic control..

Induction hobs afaik dont work well with secondary external controllers as they need the current 'smoothed' in a particular way to start up and run where simple mains on/off control switched rapidly wouldnt allow the hob to start properly? but as i said im well outside my comfort zone and am just spouting mis understood reading now..

the smart pid has a buzzer that can be set to tell u to switch on the induction hob ;)

Fil, you are a start m8:thumb: Thank's for the info.
I am currently(:mrgreen:) using my inkbird 308 to switch our buffalo 3kw IH (I have asked Inkbird whether this is OK, but no response yet,,)

The hob indicates the wattage on a digital display @ 1,500w it heats to 72*C in 5mins to gently condition my HLME, 2l liquor and DEX, before I add to the FV with cold liquor to make up the volume (as advised by Muntons)

In the future, i would like to 'tinker':nono::whistle: with the IH once it's o/s warranty to control it directly and a 70l BIAB,,,

The buzzer would be useless, I tend to brew with Trance music at full volume:oops:

Latest posts

Back