Motorbike.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had the GS 550 (they didn't have a shaft option on this model unfortunately) i would have bought the 650 shaft but couldn't afford it :-(

You almost had to get your knee down to go in a straight line, and as for corners, forget it. Luckily the engine would eat itself before you hit anything too substantial. Apart from that, it was like an anvil on a roller skate!

Sounds fun! Not sure the blame could be laid on the shaft drive tho; this was the era before the Japs got to grips with frame geometry and stuff. I know all about the self-destruct CX engines ( which were alright once the camchain tensioner mod had been done) but what possessed Honda to turbo charge an already evil-handler with a time-bomb engine, who knows?

I had the GS 550 with no shaft, couldn't afford the 650 :-(

I had the 550 too, immediately before the 650 Kat. It looked like something straight out of Mad Max - a proper rat. Tough as hell tho' it'd got over 100k on it but it fell to the electrical woes which plagued Suzukis of that time... it caught fire right outside my house whilst I was sat on it! I just kinda stepped off and left it to burn while I put the kettle on.

Only the 650/850 came with shaft drive as far as I mind.

You are right i posted that so the young ones would see not all GS's came with the shaft/non shaft option.

I will edit my earlier post for clarity. :wink:

Following operations on knees and some shoulder wear and tear I decided to chop in my C1 ZX10R for something more street-biased. However, nothing really sang out to me so I'm in the process of streetfightering it.

Had a life-affirming blast out on the old girl this afternoon. Pic taken at Winscar Reservoir. 29 years old and running sooo sweet. Aint she pretty? I love that bike!

20170701_170040.jpg

Today I sold the quad and for the first time in nearly 55 years I have no need to own a bike helmet - so I left it in the top-box along with a pair of Kevlar Gloves!

I've read through the Thread and have a few comments:

1. For over five years I worked out of Chennai (Madras) where the Enfield Factory is located. In their day, they were superb machines and I would have given my eye teeth to own one back in the early 60's. As it is, a mate of mine bought one out in India, got it shipped home to the UK for peanuts (he was the Logistics Manager) and I met up with him in Morecambe. The plan was that he would ride out to Kendal on the Enfield, I would follow on the Pan European and after a cup of coffee we would swap bikes for the return journey. NO CHANCE! On the way to Kendal I remembered exactly why the UK motorbike manufacturers went out of business and I didn't even have to get out of third gear to remind myself!

2. After having a major accident back in 1967 and being off work for nine months I made a vow that I would NEVER again ride a small bike. After riding a variety of machines (all owned by my mates) such as the BSA Road Rocket, Velocette Viper and even a Vinny 1000 I got nailed riding an 80cc Suzuki. After that I stuck to 650cc bikes and above and never regretted my decision.

3. There have been so many improvements in the last twenty years I think it only right to point out that in the old days:

o "Doing a wheelie." meant that someone had just rammed into the back of you.

o "Getting your knee down." happened often; usually due to a lack of grip from the tyres causing you to be falling off.

o "Doing a Stoppy." was made a lot easier if a dog had just run into your front wheel.

o A "Doughnut." was what you called a mate who had done one of the above!

4. The modern "clones" of Classic British bikes are a laugh. For a start, none of them spews oil all over the place whereas a mate of mine used to put a pint of oil into his AJS just to ride the 23 miles to Boston where he worked; and carried another pint with him so that he could get back home. Most of them also have electric starts so people who buy them won't get the full joy of starting something like a BSA 500 on a cold morning with a kick-start; the options being that you get lobbed over the handlebars or suffer a broken ankle and even then it may decide not to start!

For someone with knackered knees, a 600cc quad was a fair substitute for a bike so after less than 12 hours since the new owner drove it off the drive I am already beginning to regret the sale! :doh:

Today I sold the quad and for the first time in nearly 55 years I have no need to own a bike helmet - so I left it in the top-box along with a pair of Kevlar Gloves!

I've read through the Thread and have a few comments:

1. For over five years I worked out of Chennai (Madras) where the Enfield Factory is located. In their day, they were superb machines and I would have given my eye teeth to own one back in the early 60's. As it is, a mate of mine bought one out in India, got it shipped home to the UK for peanuts (he was the Logistics Manager) and I met up with him in Morecambe. The plan was that he would ride out to Kendal on the Enfield, I would follow on the Pan European and after a cup of coffee we would swap bikes for the return journey. NO CHANCE! On the way to Kendal I remembered exactly why the UK motorbike manufacturers went out of business and I didn't even have to get out of third gear to remind myself!

2. After having a major accident back in 1967 and being off work for nine months I made a vow that I would NEVER again ride a small bike. After riding a variety of machines (all owned by my mates) such as the BSA Road Rocket, Velocette Viper and even a Vinny 1000 I got nailed riding an 80cc Suzuki. After that I stuck to 650cc bikes and above and never regretted my decision.

3. There have been so many improvements in the last twenty years I think it only right to point out that in the old days:

o "Doing a wheelie." meant that someone had just rammed into the back of you.

o "Getting your knee down." happened often; usually due to a lack of grip from the tyres causing you to be falling off.

o "Doing a Stoppy." was made a lot easier if a dog had just run into your front wheel.

o A "Doughnut." was what you called a mate who had done one of the above!

4. The modern "clones" of Classic British bikes are a laugh. For a start, none of them spews oil all over the place whereas a mate of mine used to put a pint of oil into his AJS just to ride the 23 miles to Boston where he worked; and carried another pint with him so that he could get back home. Most of them also have electric starts so people who buy them won't get the full joy of starting something like a BSA 500 on a cold morning with a kick-start; the options being that you get lobbed over the handlebars or suffer a broken ankle and even then it may decide not to start!

For someone with knackered knees, a 600cc quad was a fair substitute for a bike so after less than 12 hours since the new owner drove it off the drive I am already beginning to regret the sale! :doh:
So you're contemplating!!!!

Gerry

When I'd got the FJ in bits for major heart surgery recently, the hardest bit as always was removing and refitting the stock airbox - a real pain. No more I thought, so despite all the advice to the contrary I fitted pod filters which allow removal and refitting in 2 minutes flat. Upped the main and pilot jets, raised the jet needle and nailed it first time. No stuttering,flat spots,surging etc etc. Just seamless power delivery from tickover to 'go directly to jail' speeds. There is definitely more power and mpg has increased too. Well chuffed. The key what no- one tells you? Retain the original velocity stacks and fit the pods on those!

Whatever you do, do not consider buying a motorcycle. Get a scooter instead! I covered 129,000 miles on bikes but have subsequently done a further 175,000 on scooters making a total of 304,000 miles. I have had a few accidents but all my broken bones have come from mountain bike accidents.
You have a lot more fun on a scooter because you get the large and popular scooter scene thrown into the equation. I do many rallies, sometimes camping and sometimes just a day trip. In a couple of hours i'm going on a Lancashire Scooter Alliance rideout to Slaidburn with a few mates (who I have met through the scooter scene) and my son. Dylan is 16 and has a moped with a 70cc kit, so he can keep up with the traffic safely. He also has a Vespa PK125 (with a 133cc kit!) ready for his next birthday. I have 2 Vespas and today will ride my newly acquired 1988 T5. Only 125cc but a nippy little wheelie machine. Ride safe, everyone.

So you're contemplating!!!!

Gerry

There will never be a "Mrs Dutto MkIV" but if I get another bike I can guarantee that there will be "Dutto Divorce MkIII". :whistle:

How do I know? I gave up bikes due to arthritis in my knees, then got two new knees a couple of years ago and promptly suggested another bike instead of the quad.

That suggestion went down like a lead balloon and it got a bit nasty when SWMBO started pointing out the arthritis in my hands, wrists and other body joints affected by the cold! :doh:

However, .... :whistle:

Minutes after the pic above was taken, the indicator lens parted company from the rest of the bike. My fault - removed the screw for access to something else and didn't tighten properly. Anyways I've searched the 'net high and low and these things are pure unobtanium. Gonna have to go back to where that pic was taken and ride verrrry slowly to see if I can find it. Probably splattered into a million pieces by an artic, sob! I guess one will turn up on the 'bay sooner or later.

Minutes after the pic above was taken, the indicator lens parted company from the rest of the bike. My fault - removed the screw for access to something else and didn't tighten properly. Anyways I've searched the 'net high and low and these things are pure unobtanium. Gonna have to go back to where that pic was taken and ride verrrry slowly to see if I can find it. Probably splattered into a million pieces by an artic, sob! I guess one will turn up on the 'bay sooner or later.
Sorry no picture at my end.

Gerry

Latest posts

Back