Easy Keg 5L

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Up to 20g depending on style.

Has been a bit much sometimes though. 15g is probably average without a party star. I've gone 10g on my Siren Craft $10 Shake Clone. I'll keep you posted on results.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Up to 20g depending on style.

Has been a bit much sometimes though. 15g is probably average without a party star. I've gone 10g on my Siren Craft $10 Shake Clone. I'll keep you posted on results.

so what would you recommend if using the party star tap

so what would you recommend if using the party star tap
I'm still experimenting. Currently grief 10g as mentioned above. Cracking a keg old. Next week so will let you know how it goes. 15g was still a bit lively imo.

I have some money from a recent birthday that I'm going to spend on brewing items, is there anything else, I currently favour Pressure Barrels (basic with a S30 cap) but these smaller kegs seem like a good idea and easier to keep cool when we do have hot weather like now, looking at what is available which would be better for english ale style beers the pull out tap or the CO2 and tap style?

Obviousley one is a cheaper route than the other.

How many fills do these kegs take before needing to be replaced?

The pull out tap is obviously more like a cask ale however the co2 tap will mean the beer lasts longer once open as it won't come in contact with air. You can get the kegs with pull out taps and use the party star tap with it too which gives you some flexibility.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I have some money from a recent birthday that I'm going to spend on brewing items, is there anything else, I currently favour Pressure Barrels (basic with a S30 cap) but these smaller kegs seem like a good idea and easier to keep cool when we do have hot weather like now, looking at what is available which would be better for english ale style beers the pull out tap or the CO2 and tap style?

Obviousley one is a cheaper route than the other.

How many fills do these kegs take before needing to be replaced?
Go cornelius route :D

The pull out tap is obviously more like a cask ale however the co2 tap will mean the beer lasts longer once open as it won't come in contact with air. You can get the kegs with pull out taps and use the party star tap with it too which gives you some flexibility.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

just ordered these just looking for a party star tap at a good price to go with them
http://www.homebrewkent.co.uk/product/huber-mini-keg/

hi dps 51

that's a good price for those I might have to order some myself .

is this a good stockist as it is one I haven't used before .

hi dps 51

that's a good price for those I might have to order some myself .

is this a good stockist as it is one I haven't used before .
yes they are good I have used them a lot can sometime be a bit slow to post things out but good all round prices

Don't shoot me - but there's 145 pages!

In short, can I buy these from the supermarket, drink the beer, wash, sanitise, then fill with homebrew, prime and wait a month?
Is there a simple "what to do" anywhere, as I guess its not that simple!

In short, can I buy these from the supermarket, drink the beer, wash, sanitise, then fill with homebrew, prime and wait a month?

yep you can pretty much. Key is getting the bung out intact - or you will need to go buy more bungs! - there is a youtube video about that. You pull the top off, push in the middle & force out the bung & then fish out the middle bit you pushed into keg.

Also it has to be the right sort of bung. Black with a red inner peice rather than the other way around

You can get the red outer black inner bungs out by drilling lots of small holes on an angle from the middle of the bung. After you've drilled through the plastic barbs that hold the bung in they can be lifted out without damging the metal part of the keg. You need to be careful not to touch the metal with the drill bit though.
Obviously you then need to buy replacement bungs.

So a friend at work gave me a couple of koppaberg mini kegs to see if they were any use to me. Noticing they have a co2 injection top I wondered if they maybe able to boil modified to a poor man's party tap and turns out that they can be reused and take a 16g non threaded co2 bulb that can be replaced but looks like only on the original kegs below are some pics of of dissasembly once off (takes a bit of prying and looking at the photo 4) lift the white part out from the right first the the left and the whole thing slides out to be taken apart and cleaned and bulb changed. However on the 2 I had he hadn't Pierce the bulbs so I filled the keg with water to clean and then reassembled then operated it as it should be use and held pressure. Left it for a hour before using the built in tap on top to empty it. I also shorten the feed tube by 1/2 a inch as it almost touches the bottom. I have a brew on at the minute to will try using one when it's finished to see how well it works.
cc53b9312e97fb60eaf73b40d7fd6b44.jpg
9f6ba0498bab599aa3c96a1ca7cbd9e7.jpg
5e1f9d2b9a3cf427cbd736494a139418.jpg
3ba408f34ec1a233e3a2e1b9002eac00.jpg
1d1e51951c355ce856ab50869f282662.jpg
677725ae7005eb146f20aa45098fa7b4.jpg
02edc758a9fba782a4ffdda8554c644b.jpg
37561b6ac56960b57ff9debe08788a8f.jpg
bc9a57771498ad2cbf3264435eaa8a6f.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Looking good! :thumb:

What does the top of the keg look like when you have removed everything?

If there's just a hole there and nothing inside the MK then they definitely come into the "reusable" category! :thumb:

PS

Don't shorten the tube!

The thickness of the layer of yeast after carbonation is tiny and after the first pint you won't notice it. Better a cloudy first pint than losing a pint because you shortened the tube! :thumb:

The tube was touching the bottom of the keg and the top is different as you will see the hole is slightly bigger unfortunately on the koppakeg so the bong won't fit in a standard mini/easy keg
6c8f6f15c37f5a76b8bcdb0dd06d2946.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Back