Buying a keg

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chassyp

Reaction score
I am thinking of buying a cornie keg. Who or where should I get one from, and what and how do they work. Ie what gas and tap system do I need? I am using a king keg at the moment and like the idea of being able to take the keg to parties without the fallout of yeast etc in the bottom ruining the brew! Am I correct in thinking you carbonate the beer rather than using a secondary fermentation? :thumb: :cheers:

hi mate, norm is your man for selling the cornies. email him at: [email protected], he will give you a price which includes gas disconnects/gas bottle if you need it, taps etc. its the best of gear he sells. it is quite pricey though, for a general 1 cornie including all the stuff and a party tap. your better of getting 2 as the gas bottle can serve 2 cornies. if you do a search on youtube for 'craigtube kegging' there is 4 different parts but he explains everythign from sanitising to re-filling and force carbonatio.
other good vids id recommend
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKMsc4UtAtY ( 2 different vids from this guy)
http://www.youtube.com/user/chrisknight ... C7MDb0IuLs ( 4 parts to this video)

when you keg in a cornie your basically missing out the 2nd fermentation stage in the presure keg or bottle, it depends how carbonated you like your beer., i usually have it at 10psi for a week then start drinking it.

norm is your man

i have two buy there looking at me funny

im sure if i gave them more space they would breed

they have a maxi cooler as a play mate now and a beer pump

you have been warned

Gas!!! What about the gas??? Who, where, and how??? :cheers: :thumb: Cheers

chas norm sells small gas bottles of co2 that are £45 a pop, ur better checking with your local pub if you can rent a gas cylinder there. otherwise you can contact BOC, although I wouldnt recommend giving them a penny of your money, i contacted them to see about renting gas and a lady phoned me back and left a message on my phone to phone her back. i tried over 80 times over 3 weeks and couldnt get a hold of her, i left a message asking for someone to contact me after 6 as i work all day and got a text back saying they dont work til 6 and to email my enquiry, well that was 4 weeks ago i emailed the biatch and not had a reply. i decided to contact the local pub and got a pub size cylinder full of c02 for £8! BOC can GTF.

Cheers yet again guys. Gonna def go for the keg route jobby now. Just have to suss how to break it to the better half! I think I may have to cook a nice white wine then I guess?
O by the way, I may I just bring in the conversation.......The Youngs Harvest range which is as cheep as chips is really surprisingly good. I like an all grain like the next man, but to be honest the harvest range has opened my eyes! I have just started back brewing after many years and done Coopers, Milestones,St Peters etc etc. However £ for £ the Harvest range is tops. As I type I`m quaffing a 3 week old harvest lager which has everything! The old guys who brew this are keeping it under there hats I reckon. 3 pints and I`m talking bo~~ocks!! Hic! :thumb: :cheers:

Back