Magic Aldi Cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muircockhall

Reaction score
Aldi have pasteurised cloudy apple juice on the shelf (not the fridge) for about 70p a litre.

23 litres aldi cloudy apple juice
Champagne yeast
Tsp or so of nutrient
IG about 1052
Ferment out, took 10 days at 20C
FG at 1004 giving about 6.6%

Added 200g of lactose to the whole bin just prior to bottling

Primed with 1/2 a teaspoon of sugar in each pint bottle

Wait a week or so

The Cider is cloudy and does not clear. I did add pectolase which I'll omit the next batch

It's sharp, , slightly fizzy, appley and has already disappeared.
the details are buried in my blog...http://brewing-at-home.tumblr.com/

The pasteurised cloudy apple juice is £1 a litre. The concentrate is 65p
I've just started another batch using 8 litres of cloudy and 12 of clear...
I'll keep you posted

I've somewhat lax in my reply and my apologies.
It was good however not significantly diferent to the "value" range of apple juice.
I have tried a batch which is "unknown" as i did not take an initial hydrometer reading. Main source of apple juice was @sd@ 1.5l apple juice at around 70p a pop. Added 100ml of fresh apple juice with sweetners when bottling.

Tastes like apple juice with a kick. Deeee-licious....

I went shopping today and I will make a TC with a mixed selections of Apple juice from Aldi and Lidl. I have got the Rio d'oro AJ made from concentrated juice, 0,65€ from Lidl, and I will mix it with the Vitafit 100% AJ from Lidl.

After reading many posts praising both Lidl and Aldi juices I have decided to try them both!

muircockhall said:
Aldi have pasteurised cloudy apple juice on the shelf (not the fridge) for about 70p a litre.

23 litres aldi cloudy apple juice
Champagne yeast
Tsp or so of nutrient
IG about 1052
Ferment out, took 10 days at 20C
FG at 1004 giving about 6.6%

Added 200g of lactose to the whole bin just prior to bottling

Primed with 1/2 a teaspoon of sugar in each pint bottle

Wait a week or so

The Cider is cloudy and does not clear. I did add pectolase which I'll omit the next batch

It's sharp, , slightly fizzy, appley and has already disappeared.
the details are buried in my blog...http://brewing-at-home.tumblr.com/

I'm very new to homebrew and i'm interested to know how this would compare with a cheap supermarket value range cider? The reason i ask is that your juice alone works out at £16 and even not taking into account the other ingredient costs you've got to be looking at over £1.40 for 2 litres. Isn't strongbow only a little more expensive? Now i'm sure i'm missing something here but i just don't know what...
Sorry to seem all negative but i just want to understand, because if i don't understand i'll never have a justifiable reason to do it myself over just buying it at Tescos.
thanks

mainly the taste of it by the time its ready to drink you'd have to compare it with a glass bottle of cider costing around £2 a pint maybe a bit less . his will be better than strong bow prob stronger and he made it which is what its about

starspud1 said:
I'm very new to homebrew and i'm interested to know how this would compare with a cheap supermarket value range cider? The reason i ask is that your juice alone works out at £16 and even not taking into account the other ingredient costs you've got to be looking at over £1.40 for 2 litres. Isn't strongbow only a little more expensive? Now i'm sure i'm missing something here but i just don't know what...
Sorry to seem all negative but i just want to understand, because if i don't understand i'll never have a justifiable reason to do it myself over just buying it at Tescos.
thanks

Strongbow is 3.23 for a 2 litre bottle in Tesco right now (in cans it's only a couple of pence cheaper: 1.60/litre).
So you're looking at making a good-to-premium cider for less than half the cost of buying a just-about-OK one.
Plus you get to mess with the recipe, making stuff you really like instead of what they think you should like.
You get to pick the ABV, too.
My latest used 3.5l Morrison's value juice, 1/2l cranberry, 1/2l Earl Grey per gallon, and one of the gallons had 4 cloves chucked in.
I just bottled it today and both are clearly going to be very nice, the clove one may I think be superb.
Approx cost well under 60p/pint, possibly under 50p/pint.

AndrewVu said:
strongbow

Excuse me... Are you imlying tha Strongbow it's a real Cider?? :shock:

;) By doing TC you might end up spending roughly the same amount but the quality will be far better and, after having derink the first one and realised that it turn out really well, you will feel very satisfied and you will be li... Strongbow who??!! :D

alphacento said:
AndrewVu said:
strongbow

Excuse me... Are you imlying tha Strongbow it's a real Cider?? :shock:

;) By doing TC you might end up spending roughly the same amount but the quality will be far better and, after having derink the first one and realised that it turn out really well, you will feel very satisfied and you will be li... Strongbow who??!! :D

You have completely misquoted me there, I didn't write strongbow anywhere, can't stand the stuff!

AndrewVu said:
You have completely misquoted me there, I didn't write strongbow anywhere, can't stand the stuff!

Yes I did. It was supposed to have quoted another member of the forum. I must have selcted the selcted the sentence and then pressed on the wrong Quote button.

Latest posts

Back