california connoisseur wine kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grabers

Reaction score
Evening

I am making my first batch of wine from the kit above and have a questions about secondary fermentation.

My wine was ready to move from primary to secondary around 2 days earlier (judging by SP readings) than the instructions and has now hit a SP of 0.994. The kit says to leave it it secondary until it reaches this figure but recommends it should have been in secondary around 12 days. Mine seems to have hit this number after just 6 which seems a long way ahead of where it should be. What do people recommend I do?! Start degassing or leave it for the remainder of the days?! What impact will it have by doing either action.

Any help appreciated :thumb:

Ah, the Zinfandel Blush... I've got one of those on the go just now too!

It went mental for a few days and has now stopped too. All fermentations are helped by time - relax, give it plenty of time. It's under airlock so nothing's going to happen to it apart from it's going to get better.

Leave it alone for a couple of weeks. :thumb:

Excellent. Thank you very much. Ill leave it just where it is to get better and better!!

I must test mine actually. I think it's been in primary for a couple of weeks now... :hmm:

Doesn't look very "blushy" at this stage, more like a red zinfandel. Is that the same with yours?

Yes mine is not overly blushy. It guess it will clear slightly later on but it's certainly not a light rose at this stage.

Having a similar problem with a sauvignion blanc. Shouldn't be ready till early may but down to .995 now and clearing well. Think i'll leave mine. Tastes ok and gonna leave it to mature till christmas so no rush. Good luck with the blush!

Back