Woodfords wherry..to bottle or to keg?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you keg or bottle Woodfords Wherry for optimum results?

• I keg it

• I bottle it

• I keg most of it and bottle 10 or more

Results are only viewable after voting.

gazkilla

A hoppy middle aged man
Reaction score
I want to do a Woodfords Wherry because of all the great reviews of it on here.
However some say its best kegged others say bottled.Whats your experience of it?
Could you add how much sugar you add if batched primed ;)

Personally with this kit i would keg with about 80g priming sugar
If you bottle it may go too fizzy and i dont like fizzy bitters.

winnywood said:
If you bottle it may go too fizzy and i dont like fizzy bitters.

Don't prime the bottle with as much sugar?

I ticked the 'bottle' option, however my next Wherry will definitely be kegged.

I prefer all my bitters kegged, a much better mouthfeel imo. I save my bottles for lagers, cervezas etc.

Mark H said:
I prefer all my bitters kegged, a much better mouthfeel imo. I save my bottles for lagers, cervezas etc.

I totally agree i found even the smallest priming sugar in bottles stops it tasting like a draught beer so for me i only bottle largers and the turn out really good.

Totally agree too, but I have no patience when a keg is on hand, it almost has a magnetic attraction saying "DRINK ME", unlike bottles which I store away in the back of the garage (out of sight, out of mind) :D

So I always partially bottle all my ale brews, sometimes half of them, sometimes 10 or so, just to see what they're like aged. I just did this with a Wherry. Other brews such as lagers and stouts are all bottled, I do think ale is better out of a keg though.

I was hoping more people had replied to this thread!

I'm Kegging 23 litres of Wherry tomorrow - although the instructions don't mention sugar I presume it is best to add some.

How much sugar are you Wherry drinkers using for Kegged Wherry? Neat or dissolved in boiling water?

:thumb:

Thanks BIGJIM72, I'll do that tomorrow then... :cheers:

(is there a 'thanks' button anywhere on here?)

Tim84 said:
I was hoping more people had replied to this thread!

I'm Kegging 23 litres of Wherry tomorrow - although the instructions don't mention sugar I presume it is best to add some.

How much sugar are you Wherry drinkers using for Kegged Wherry? Neat or dissolved in boiling water?

:thumb:

The instructions do say something about this - "upto 100 grammes of sugar to a pressure barrel", on the side of the box :hmm:

I used about 100 gms of medium DME in the one I've just kegged and it's got a fair bit of pressure behind it after a week, still cloudy though

desmosteve said:
The instructions do say something about this - "upto 100 grammes of sugar to a pressure barrel", on the side of the box :hmm:

I used about 100 gms of medium DME in the one I've just kegged and it's got a fair bit of pressure behind it after a week, still cloudy though

Oh yes :oops:

Should have read them before posting rather than relying on my memory of what I read 11 days ago!

Step four does indeed say to add sugar, sorry Woodforde's!

Not had the Wherry, but had the Sundew in a keg and it was beautiful. I prefer kegged ales and bottled lagers (as has been said before here) because they taste more like you get them in the pub.

That being said...

I have ticked "Keg some, bottle others", because I honestly think you need a direct comparison so YOU can figure out what YOU like. just because I prefer it in a keg doesn't mean you will.

Following the advice on here, I'm the proud new father of my first Keg of Wherry!

I went for 80g in boiling water, cooled.

ygu7u5yd.jpg

Looks good.
Now the hard part.

WAITING

When you carnt take any more waiting just remember pour slowly them taps aint that good at getting the perfect pint.

Back