WOW-Where best to find the juice?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes but swirling it around a bit won't have removed much of the CO2 and that's why it is taking longer to clear, the sediment gets trapped in he tiny bubbles you have to shake it then release the CO2 then repeat over and over until it is hardly releasing any, I use a degassing wand made from a coat hanger it makes the job a lot faster, there is a how to here - http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=48971

Thanks, Chippy. I will confess that I don't understand how to use said wand, even with your helpful video link. Would you mind enlightening me?

Also, I haven't yet put the wine stabiliser in (as I'm still awaiting delivery.) Should I wait until this is in there before I start degassing?

Thanks again.

If you cut the coat hanger where the guy in the video shows you then use boiling water to soften it you can make one that looks like his or the others in the degassing thread, you use a cordless or corded drill so basically its like an egg whisk but it thrashes the CO2 out instead of oxygen in.

When it arrives add the stabiliser then degas, the wand will both mix the stabiliser in and remove the CO2.

I've topped up the juice from my father in law's grapes this year with pure merlot juice from waitrose.

Most of the time their fruit juice is on a 3 (litres) for £4 which means you can make a gallon of merlot for under 8 quid or just use it to bolster country wines relatively cheaply. I have used it before and it came out well in combination.

It is 100% juice and doesn't require any treatment before use. Sure it's been pasturised and moderately filtered, but I think it will suit many for a better grape juice addition than some of the thinner and less flavoursome red grape juices around.

I wish you bubbles.

Jim

Great tip and welcome to the forum :cheers:

Thanks, you're very welcome.

I've not been around for a long time, I've only been doing one batch a year since my second child was born.

In case it is of interest, Im confident that Tesco still do a 'taste the difference' merlot juice every now and again. I drank it a few years ago, but never got around to turning it into wine. It was a fair bit more expensive than Waitrose current offering.

Personally I'd prefer a cabernet sauvignon juice, perhaps it isn't so good to drink unfermented? I've not seen it anyway...

Jim
:pray:

I've turned to brewing beer now my wine activities stalled. In the current climate, a (hu)man needs a drink! :lol:

No you need 100% juice, Asda and Tresco sell red and white, if you look at the Asda site you can get a delivery slot for one pound during the week which will help if there isn't one close to you..

Could not help butting in on this. Never had an Asda delivery where anything near what I ordered was available. They are completely useless. I think this is because their deliveries are fulfilled by the local store as opposed to a central warehouse. The last time I placed an order it was for all juice and I added 2 x cheap 5kg bags of sugar that they do to take it over the minimum order value. All they delivered was the sugar and then only one! Arghhhh.

Never had an Asda delivery where anything near what I ordered was available. They are completely useless.

Looks like you have a bad one as we haven't had any problems.

Hahaha. i knew that was coming. We have one of the largest stores in the country. Perhaps therein lies the problem

By posting "they are completely useless" you didn't really give me much option.

Latest posts

Back