Malbec Kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wonderwoman

Regular.
Reaction score
I am looking for a Malbec kit but it would appear that the only kits for Malbec are 5gallons. As this is my first wine home brew, I wanted to start with a 1 gallon kit as I don't know how the result will be - and to be honest, it would take us ages to get through 30 bottles (not as long as expensive shop bought wine but still!).

Does anyone know of a 6 bottle Malbec kit at all?

Or how "good" will the finished product be if I do buy a 30 bottle kit?

Bear in mind this is my first wine brew. ;)

My SIL made his first Malbec, a Californian Connoisseur earlier
this year. At my suggestion, he brewed 20l to raise the ABV from
11.5 to 12.65%. It went well, and I suggested he store it nine
months for Xmas, but when I next went a couple of months
later it was all gone apart from one glass that he saved for me
for helping him. It was nice, but the extra storage would have made
it nicer. I've just last month put down 20 litres of their Barolla
for next Xmas.
Pete

What is the nebbiolo like compared to malbec? I don't think I've had a barolo. I've only recently gotten into red wines and like them medium bodied, not too dry. I had a great Portuguese one from Lidl's fancy range a few months ago but they don't seem to get it in anymore. I can't remember the name... other than that I really like malbec.

I am looking for a Malbec kit but it would appear that the only kits for Malbec are 5gallons. As this is my first wine home brew, I wanted to start with a 1 gallon kit as I don't know how the result will be - and to be honest, it would take us ages to get through 30 bottles (not as long as expensive shop bought wine but still!).

Does anyone know of a 6 bottle Malbec kit at all?

Or how "good" will the finished product be if I do buy a 30 bottle kit?

Bear in mind this is my first wine brew. ;)

If you don't mind a Rose style wine then look at doing a simple WoW first, RGJ and Apple is easy to make and very drinkable straight after you have cleared it, it is cheap and will give you a run thru of the whole process letting you see if your cleaning/sterilization is good. A decent kit going wrong can work out expensive should something go awry.

If you don't mind a Rose style wine then look at doing a simple WoW first, RGJ and Apple is easy to make and very drinkable straight after you have cleared it, it is cheap and will give you a run thru of the whole process letting you see if your cleaning/sterilization is good. A decent kit going wrong can work out expensive should something go awry.

That is kind of what I'm going to do. I'm going to do the "prosecoo" recipe with RGJ and apple :) But as TOH really enjoys a red and we both like the likes of Malbec, I'd like to make some wine in the near future, hopefully we could open a bottle by Christmas although I am aware that it should lay for longer than that ideally.

To be honest, I just don't want to spend 40 quid yet for my first red wine since all the kits are different (alas, every Malbec is different!) and TOH is very fussy about red. :shock: :electric:

I've found that the RGJ and Pomegranate resembles a lighter fruity red in taste though its certainly not going to be close to fuller bodied red's, I'm planning on doing a Rioja from either Beaverdale or California connoisseur within the next few weeks but want to get a stock of decent WoW's built up first to see me thru the maturing stage of a red of course ;-)

Back