Kettle upgrade advice for induction

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool, sounds promising.

The actual hob says maximum 28cm on the glass, but I'm hoping that's just the ring size.

Cool, sounds promising.

The actual hob says maximum 28cm on the glass, but I'm hoping that's just the ring size.

Mea culpa! I definitely got the wrong measurements! Sorry. :doh: :doh:

However, on the one I bought, there is a device that stops the hob from working if the metal pot overhangs the hob.

It won't switch on at all when my 20 litre pot is presented but works perfectly with a 10 litre pot.

I hope your's works okay but brace yourself! :lol:

Have you got the pot yet and is it working on the Buffalo Hob okay? :thumb: :thumb:

Yes and Yes :thumb:

I brewed some Dead Pony Club at the weekend, boil volume was about 26L and it worked well.
It wasn't the same ferocious boil that I had with my 5L test previously, more of a gentle rolling boil, but with the lid half on it was plenty vigorous enough.

I had a few issues during the brew, not related to the pot or hob so I don't have any meaningful timings yet, but the hob performed well.
I started outside as it was a nice day and I hadn't cleared a proper space in the garage yet. At one point while heating up to mash temp, the hob had switched off for a while and I hadn't noticed. On closer inspection it turned out the extension lead I was using was only 10A, so the extension lead had tripped. Once I'd shuffled things around so I could plug straight into a socket and got going again the rain started, so I had to do a mad dash to get everything into the garage.

I've now insulated the pot with some ThermaWrap from Homebase which should hopefully improve the heat up time and boil strength, as well as with maintaining mash temp.

I'll give it a trial this weekend with some water to get some timings and will report back.

2016-06-25 12.12.28.jpg

Can't wait to get mine together, will be getting pot in a couple of weeks, the hob as and when I can, did you buy the bazooka to go inside?

Can't wait to get mine together, will be getting pot in a couple of weeks, the hob as and when I can, did you buy the bazooka to go inside?

No I didn't bother with the bazooka as I was worried about whether it would clog with pellets and also whether it would interfere with the induction. I've got a dip tube fitted on the inside and currently use nylon hop bags.

I've also got a hop spider with a nylon bag which I haven't used yet and have ordered one of these cheap stainless ones from China to see if it's any good http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/0-250mm-60-Mesh-300-Micron-Stainless-Steel-Homebrew-Hop-Spider-Beer-Filter-Net-/361615229091?hash=item5431f280a3

At some point I'll give it a go just throwing the hops in and see if the dip tube can cope if I whirlpool beforehand, I can always syphon if it all goes wrong!

For anyone who's interested, here's some stats for a full batch size simulation

50L high end BrewBuilder pot, insulated with ThermaWrap
Starting with 26.75L cold water from a hose (yes I know the photo shows 25L according to the markings, but the markings read 1.75L under)
In the garage where ambient temp was 20°C
On the Buffalo 3KW induction hob

Start: 18°C
10 min: 28°C
20 min: 44°C
30 min: 58°C
36 min: 65°C (mash temp)
40 min: 71°C
50 min: 83°C
60 min: 94°C
65 min: boiling

Again the boil was fairly gentle as can be seen from the video below, but with the lid half-on it was much more vigorous.
https://youtu.be/C2FHljRZN8E

Looking forward to doing a full-size brew with the Jack Hammer kit, hopefully next weekend.

I also managed to bag a fridge from Gumtree at the weekend for a fiver, so that'll be getting kitted out as a fermentation fridge for the next brew.

2016-07-01 18.17.42.jpg

2016-07-01 19.24.34.jpg

2016-07-01 19.23.24.jpg

I've just purchased the buffalo and will be doing some brewing soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

any updates on this chaps as im going down this route in new year when ive done my last stock of kits

I've done about 8 brews now on my induction setup in the garage, ranging between 10 to 22 litre batches and I'm very happy with it.

Was there anything in particular you wanted to know?

any updates on this chaps as im going down this route in new year when ive done my last stock of kits

I use the the hob with a 50L pot in a garage at about 15 degrees. I start heating the wort as I begin sparging and by the time I am done (30-40 mins) the wort is boiling.

I've done brews up to 28L so far and haven't used any lagging to insulate. Works fine without although I'd like to fit some just to save on electricity.

A great piece of kit. I love not having any elements in the pot.

I've not boiled 50l in it but done pre boil volume of 32 litres no problem

I never tried to move full, far too heavy for me

I've not boiled 50l in it but done pre boil volume of 32 litres no problem

How much evaporation do you get boiling at full for 1 hour? I have a 32l pot now and got 23l of wheatbeer into the FV from around a 31l 70 minute boil. I reckon would handle 50l easily enough but its nice to know.
I often do no chill so i lift the pot of the hob and leave outside overnight. Then i get the Mrs to help me pour into FV the next day.

How much evaporation do you get boiling at full for 1 hour? I have a 32l pot now and got 23l of wheatbeer into the FV from around a 31l 70 minute boil. I reckon would handle 50l easily enough but its nice to know.
I often do no chill so i lift the pot of the hob and leave outside overnight. Then i get the Mrs to help me pour into FV the next day.

I usually get around 4L per hour boil off.

It's doable to lift the pot with a full size batch in, but I wouldn't do it out of choice as it can be bulky and dangerous to lift the pot full of liquid, especially while still hot.

I also no chill but drain from the tap using some silicone tubing into a HDPE plastic water container on the floor so I don't have to do any heavy lifting with the pot.

Once cooled, I lift the water container onto the bench and then drain straight from the tap lid into the FV to provide aeration.

Transfer to fermenter.jpg

Latest posts

Back