Kettle upgrade advice for induction

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've boiled 45L in it using anti foam to save me from watching it all the time.

Once chilled I wouldn't want to be lifting it so I pump it out to the fermenter a few metres away.

380b3bb9b268eea9c1fb563b65396af9.jpg

FFS,, No way can a 70l pot be lifted unless you had IRNBRU, even with 50l liquor,,, You need a hoist guys. But a 12v pump on TC fittings fookin works! :mrgreen:

I may have misread the question, but I was talking about lifting a full size batch in a 50L pot i.e. somewhere around 20 odd litres.

50L of wort is going to be at least 50KG plus the weight of the pot, even if you could lift it safely, I'm not sure I'd trust the pot handles with that weight. So in that case gravity or pump is the way to go.

I may have misread the question, but I was talking about lifting a full size batch in a 50L pot i.e. somewhere around 20 odd litres.

50L of wort is going to be at least 50KG plus the weight of the pot, even if you could lift it safely, I'm not sure I'd trust the pot handles with that weight. So in that case gravity or pump is the way to go.

Aye m8, Sadly my inane late night drivel was totally confusing :oops:

I was trying to say the only safe way to move larger quantities of wort is by a 12v pump. The pan handles are designed for moving the pan when empty

Stupidly, I regularly lift my 30l FV's into our brewing mezzanine and even that has given me back problems. I have learned and have a hoist now that can lift them safely.

Sadly, something that stops my replying to posts with meaningless drivel is something that I also require :doh:

Aye Beercat, you learn by misadventure.

I was initially after a 70l ind pot. Got offered a 50l with 5 x 1.5" TC ferrules for fitting thermoprobes, valves and pump from Brewbuilder (Mark) it was such good deal I just couldn't refuse, it's a prototype build (one of four)
The finish is top notch! :thumb:

I have still not ordered as cant make up my mind. Probably going for a 70l. I will probably only boil half that but i want to at least double what i have. Question is how many holes do i need are pick up tubes any good? Was going for a tap and thermometer but interested in what i need for a whirlpool. I presume it needs a pump and an extra 2 holes?

Hello all,

Aware that this post is over 3 years old. I was looking to check current thinking about Induction hobs and kettle (steel)pans that are oversized. Are there any issues with the overhang? Is the boil suffient?

TIA.

whats the largest size you have boiled?

I tend to do 20/21L batch size so my largest pre-boil volume would be around 29/30L when doing a 90 min boil which leaves plenty of headspace so there's no risk of a boilover.

I've now treated myself to a BrewMonk 30L, I've only done one brew on it but I'm impressed so far.

Latest posts

Back