Holland & Barrett Malt Extract

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In partial mashes you say? Any conceivable difference between that and say coopers light in a pale ale type brew?

Cheers

Clint
At their offer price against hb online price for coopers light at 9.95 you say a massive 1.6p per gramme. But you have to consider p&p etc...
Clint,
was the question directed at me?
if so,have never used any other liquid extracts except for H and B's own or the dark Potters. Have used the H and B's own in bitter,IPA etc,even in a stout .
Intend on doing a small batch P/M tomorrow-Rye APA and will be using a H and B 454grm jar in with that.

Only if P&P is ignored. If you're buying other stuff at the same time online then H&B is more expensive and because it's liquid it's difficult to store once opened.

Example:

H&B buy 1 get one half price: 454g x 2 = 908g for ��£4.48 or 0.493p/g
THBC online: light spraymalt: 1000g for ��£5.50 or 0.55 p/g

LME is roughly 20% water so you need 20% more of it to match a recipe weight specified for DME. So, for a 1l starter @100g DME/120g LME we have:

LME: 0.493p x 120 = 59.16p
DME: 0.55p x 100 = 55p

So there we go, a whole 4p cheaper to use DME.

I'll show myself out... :whistle:

For me is merely accessible, H&B is in my local tesco so if I need to do a strater I can get some 2 mins away.

Personally I would not recommend brewing a beer with it though..

For me is merely accessible, H&B is in my local tesco so if I need to do a strater I can get some 2 mins away.

Personally I would not recommend brewing a beer with it though..
have to pick you up on that.Why would you not brew a beer with it?. I have never brewed a beer with JUST the h and b malt always with either spray malt or with grains in a p/mash.
I have never ever had any nasty flavours from using it alongside other malts.

have to pick you up on that.Why would you not brew a beer with it?. I have never brewed a beer with JUST the h and b malt always with either spray malt or with grains in a p/mash.
I have never ever had any nasty flavours from using it alongside other malts.

To be honest I do not generally do extracts but I did do one small batch with it and to be honest don't get me wrong I wouldn't say or it was horrible or undrinkable at all but its by far the worst beer I did since doing AG.. I was very disappointed it had an extract flavour in it in it and it was really dark aswell..

Perhaps I am giving it a hard time based on one but I was really put off by it.. could be storage though..

To be honest I do not generally do extracts but I did do one small batch with it and to be honest don't get me wrong I wouldn't say or it was horrible or undrinkable at all but its by far the worst beer I did since doing AG.. I was very disappointed it had an extract flavour in it in it and it was really dark aswell..

Perhaps I am giving it a hard time based on one but I was really put off by it.. could be storage though..
Mmmmm,oh well.
Guess we all differ. All i can say is i have honestly never had any problems or off flavours.That said i have not used it solely as a base,always with spraymalt or with base malts etc in p/m's
To use it solely in an extract brew would be a bit costly i guess anyway.
Will be bunging a jar in my Rye APA partial mash tomorrow:smile:
I might at some point do exactly the same brew two days running,one as a partial mash with some in it and a biab and compare the two side by side when finished:thumb:

Mmmmm,oh well.
Guess we all differ. All i can say is i have honestly never had any problems or off flavours.That said i have not used it solely as a base,always with spraymalt or with base malts etc in p/m's
To use it solely in an extract brew would be a bit costly i guess anyway.
Will be bunging a jar in my Rye APA partial mash tomorrow:smile:
I might at some point do exactly the same brew two days running,one as a partial mash with some in it and a biab and compare the two side by side when finished:thumb:

Like I say it was only one use, I think for me on that occasion it just seemed to get the negative parts of LME in that beer, a slight twang maybe just I dunno it was never right and it was such a simple beer.. and it was really dark..

I only used it because I went to do 1G a smash with left overs and realised I only had like 200 grams of grain (which I did use)..

I would much prefer DME for a beer if using extract again but getting access to it isn't as easy as popping down the road..

Maybe I will give it another go again at some point when I have left overs.

Like I say it was only one use, I think for me on that occasion it just seemed to get the negative parts of LME in that beer, a slight twang maybe just I dunno it was never right and it was such a simple beer.. and it was really dark..

I only used it because I went to do 1G a smash with left overs and realised I only had like 200 grams of grain (which I did use)..

I would much prefer DME for a beer if using extract again but getting access to it isn't as easy as popping down the road..

Maybe I will give it another go again at some point when I have left overs.
Must say that i do prefer spraymalt myself and if using lots of extract i would errrr on more dry than liquid. i usually do 5/10 litre brews of either biab's extracts or partial mashes so i guess that one jar in a 5/10 litre batch is a fairly small percentage of malt overall.

Only if P&P is ignored. If you're buying other stuff at the same time online then H&B is more expensive and because it's liquid it's difficult to store once opened.

Example:

H&B buy 1 get one half price: 454g x 2 = 908g for ��£4.48 or 0.493p/g
THBC online: light spraymalt: 1000g for ��£5.50 or 0.55 p/g

LME is roughly 20% water so you need 20% more of it to match a recipe weight specified for DME. So, for a 1l starter @100g DME/120g LME we have:

LME: 0.493p x 120 = 59.16p
DME: 0.55p x 100 = 55p

So there we go, a whole 4p cheaper to use DME.

I'll show myself out... :whistle:

This is all true enough if you have to buy online but H&B have plenty of shops about (particularly in London). if I want to buy DME without paying P&P I have to get it from wilko, and then it cost about £5 for 500g.

If I want some malt extract for starters buying the H&B LME works out cheaper and more convenient (for me at least)

Still giving out 20% off vouchers and also £5 off a £20 shop. Got those today when i purchased some Potters extract and some flaked barley.Had one voucher for 20% off one item,got it off both:thumb::mrgreen:.

:thumb:

H and B are supposed to sell the Meridian,been into three stores and none sell it!!!
Might try Asda:thumb:. Have looked for the Waitrose stuff before as well without any joy:roll:, mind you we don't shop in Waitrose,just too expensive for us poor ol pensioners:lol:

:thumb:

H and B are supposed to sell the Meridian,been into three stores and none sell it!!!
Might try Asda:thumb:. Have looked for the Waitrose stuff before as well without any joy:roll:, mind you we don't shop in Waitrose,just too expensive for us poor ol pensioners:lol:

If you have a waitose card you can get a free coffee if you buy something (malt extract). I'm Kingston &Surbiton waitrose so often (not only do I get a coffee for my self almost every day I take all my clients in their too) the staff probably think I work there too

I normally buy the H&B own brand extract

Great little jars. I used the last two to partial mash a Batemans porter.
I still remember making an adnams southwold with about six of these with two packs of Cooper's yeast. It was an amazing pint by the fourth month. Sadly I'd drunk most by the second.
If this offer is back on I'll get down there

Great little jars. I used the last two to partial mash a Batemans porter.
I still remember making an adnams southwold with about six of these with two packs of Cooper's yeast. It was an amazing pint by the fourth month. Sadly I'd drunk most by the second.
If this offer is back on I'll get down there
When i do partial mashes i use it:thumb:

Back