Newbie wanting to build Kegerator

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having a bit of a nightmare getting 2 corny to fit in here :(
And managed to cut through a wire .. sorted that and still works but looks like I've more to cut out still.. ( hope there is nothing else hiding )

20170427_200458.jpg

Finally managed to get both in.. had to hack away a lot of plastic and foam..

Not happy with the patch up I did with that wire either.. I just stuck a connector block on it, put some insulation tape round it and then hid it under that silver tape. But I'm nervous that if water somehow gets to it, it could make a connection to the silver tape which is touching the corny which is pumping fluid into the taps which I'm touching ..
I'm thinking it's just for the bulb or the door switch.. I might trace it and kill it.. I'm not bothered about the light anyway..

20170428_140701.jpg

Bugger my temp controller probe lead has snapped now it ain't working.. ah well that's just another challenge for me ;) I ain't scared of electrics.. just ordered a digital temp controller on eBay like what they use in keezers im gonna replace it with that and bypass the compressor so it's always on and control it through my new controller if that makes sense ;)
Has anyone done this before for a kegerator ? Is there any reason I don't know of that's this is bad and should I just buy a new thermostat instead?

20170428_161547.jpg

lump the fridge onto a worktop before you attempt it unless your happy on your knees **** up in the air peering about looking for terminals ;).

rather than short out the circuit you have pictured above i would suggest it would be a lot safer to wire up directly to the compressor and loose the live connections running through the fridge.

No Problems at all with bypassing the fridge thermostat and internal electrics, its very common with brewfridges especially amongst those who like to lager their beers as you can achieve much lower temps after bypassing the built in temp control. You will in all probability also loose the internal fridge light but its not as if you will be searching packed shelves for the last piece of Belgian chocolate in there.

Nah not bothered about the light :)

I like the idea of wiring it up the the compressor so there are no live cables in the fridge that sounds exactly like what I need to do..

I'm not scared of electrics at all I have qualifications in electrics and electronics and have just about rewired my home (don't tell anyone that last bit though.. I'm not qualified for that :D )

BUT if never messed with a fridge compressor so any help or advice on rewiring that would be awesome and greatly appreciated..cheers.

I am not qualified to give any advise on this matter and my experience is limited to the 2 fridges i have modded, in both cases i traced the power flex into the fridge to a terminal bolck close to/on the compressor, where earth and neutral were terminated, both Neutral and Live were then also fed into the guts of the fridge towards the light and thermostat, and the live return from the thermostat back to drive the compressor was both the same guage as the brown live feed And was Black if it will be in yours??????

just go slow and use a meter to test continuity of wires your considering before you act, and if in doubt at all stop take a few pics and draw up a post for here 90% of the time working out the actual problem leads to the solution .

Remember to unplug from the mains before you delve in there and have respect for elecricity, it can kill.. be safe!

Excellent advise cheers fil, I have done as you said even down to lifting it onto a work bench :)

I found a connector down near the compressor that marches the connector inside .. checked continuity and bingo that's the one.. very happy
Disconnected it shorted brown and black and my fridge works, just need to get my temp controller I've ordered and wire that up instead of short?? Or leave them connected together and just turn whole fridge on and off like people do when they convert them for fermentation.. (Don't suppose it matters?)

20170430_143150.jpg

20170430_143157.jpg

20170430_143309.jpg

20170430_143358.jpg

eEpends on the controller you opt for, afaik there a quite a few options,
for basic thermostatic control you can get a simple inkbird controller that all you need do is plug in the fridge (shorted) and heater and away you go..

for a bit more diy the stc1000's are very popular diy controllers i went with an atc800+ which isnt really available these days and if you find one it will set you back a lot for what it is so i wouldnt bother now.

STC1000 ver1.0 boxes can also be reprogramed or reflashed with much more sophisticated brewfridge s/w with automatic ramping and temp changes with timers. even remote logging via a small radio board addition.
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&r...c1000p&usg=AFQjCNEMcLlFZvEyRqbHhqiMtx3wLLdlYA

and my personal solution to receiving the stc1000 radio broadcast and logging to an sd card for analysis later or plugging to a puters usb for real time data
https://github.com/hunnimonstr/Stc1000-RFlogger

Or if your even more DIY inclined you can look into the brewpi or brewpiless

Or check out the Smartpid for brewpi functionality but no diy other than connecting sensors and loads to the terminals at the back of the box..

tho as its a keg fridge i think the inkbird plug in n go solution would probably be best for you..

I went for this in the end - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10A-110-2...ffType=OrderSubTotalOffer&_trksid=p5731.m3795

it looks like the STC, so I guess (hope) it's just the same :)

I haven't got it yet, so I can't let you know how I'm getting on, but will do ;)

I do have another question though.

I have hacked the hell out of the inside to get 2 cornies in and I now I've taped over everything with the silver insulation tape stuff, but I don't think I've done a great job, but I have read somewhere I need to make sure no nasties can get into the foam and then I've seen other guys kegerators and they've not even bothered taping it up at all so all the foam is exposed.

how careful do I need to be here?

Dazzie - only just seen this post. Ive got my set up exactly how your looking to get yours done. I have a fridge under the bar counter and a co2 bottle to the side. Got 2 gas lines going in through hole in one side of fridge to the 2 cornies and 2 beer lines coming out the other side. These feed up to the fonts/taps on the bar just above. Works a treat. Am at work now but will post a couple of pics tomorrow.

You will see I have the gas bottle tucked away with a removable shelf in front of it - just a question of getting as much into the space available.
I fed the beer lines from the kegs through fridge wall and up through worktop to feed the fonts.
Works well !

DSCF6536.jpg

DSCF6538.jpg

DSCF6539.jpg

DSCF6541.jpg

DSCF6543.jpg

DSCF6545.jpg

The fridge was originally a standard kegerator with the taps on the door -
bought from another forum member. However I wanted to use it to store the kegs under the bar and feed up to taps.

The fridge still has the working thermostat so kegs can be chilled depending on what your serving.

DSCF6547.jpg

You will see I have the gas bottle tucked away with a removable shelf in front of it - just a question of getting as much into the space available.
I fed the beer lines from the kegs through fridge wall and up through worktop to feed the fonts.
Works well !

What are those things attached to the side of the cupboard in front of the gas bottle?

Nah not bothered about the light :)

I'm not scared of electrics at all I have qualifications in electrics and electronics and have just about rewired my home (don't tell anyone that last bit though.. I'm not qualified for that :D ).

I used to work for my local electricity network and got quite heavily involved in safety for a few years including around fires caused by people who had rewired their own homes without the right qualifications. At best they lose their home and invalidate their insurance due to the uncertified work, at worst someone dies and they end up in court because of it.

Even if it doesnt happen you have broken the law unless you get it certified by a part P qualified electrician if you can find one who will do it.

Ok yep you got me...
I might have told a little lie there ;) well more of an exaggeration really.
When I said that I rewired the house I meant I threw a few more sockets and some spot lights in the extension.
And when I said I.. I meant we, I had help from my friend who is qualified and has his own business who checked and tested everything and it is all certified.
All I did was the simple stuff that I have done 100s of times in my various jobs I've had as electricians mate, maintenance man etc..
But saying that...
When I bought that house, the guy that lived there before me was a builder who thought he could do everything and he did rewire a lot if it himself and we only found out because we had a new kitchen fitted and when they went to put the cooker in they spotted his dodgy work and condemned the electrics.. he had live wires connected together and taped... under my bath :shock:

@yikkerman - that looks awesome mate..

I can't wait to get mine finished now..

Just a few questions ...

I have been trying to make sure I've left no exposed foam and taped it up as good as I can with insulation tape, but noticed that the foam on yours isn't taped.. does it matter?? does **** get in there and go manky and start to smell?? or am I just over worrying about something I shouldn't :)

I wanted to do exactly the same as you and have lines coming out of the fridge going to taps on my bar, thought there is going to be a length of pipe that beer could just hang around in and go warm, so I went with a tower that I'm trying to mount as closely as I can to the top to reduce this... how is your beer.. do you end up wasting the first warm foaming pint if it's left a while, or am I worry over nothing again ??

No mate - I wouldn't worry about that.
As a rule I generally draw maybe half a pint off - probably not even that much to be honest. Just a habit I got into, really just to clear whats sat in the line from the keg to the tap.
Seems to do the trick and had no casualties yet :grin:

As for the exposed foam - the fridge is as I acquired it - ive had no issues and obviously the guy who had it previous none either. I suppose taping it up makes it look better 0 other than that I have my doubts.

Steve

Back