Hop plants/rhizomes - growing report

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ekg.jpg

There's my year 3 EKG taken just now. As usual first off the blocks and already nearly up to the wire lattice at the top of this fence. I need to get out there and do some weeding tomorrow and stake some more canes because I'm going to let all those shoots grow this year.

Down in our village there's a wild hop growing in a hedgerow down by the river and last year it produced MASSIVE amounts of flowers and no-one prunes that one back at the start of the year so I'm not going to prune mine. I was speaking to the landlord of a nearby pub who knows about that wild plant and he said a local brewery came along and had the lot in Autumn. Nice!

I know its only 7 days buried tomorrow but still no sign of a shoot yet,am I being to impatient? Read that it should only be covered by an inch or two if earth so I took a few inches out the pot
How about yours beercat ?

Well i dug mine up and planted it vertically then read the previous replies and dug it up and planted flat again.
Its not come up yet but its in the poly tunnel and checking it daily. I planted loads of veg and herbs at the same time and the only thing come up so far is 1 sunflower and Rocket. Guess we are being impatient as its meant to grow like a weed and probably busy growing roots. I will let you know when it does though. The only thing growing well in my garden is stuff i have not planted for years like Chard and Land Cress. :doh:

Well everything good so far. Just look at the difference in just one week. Cheers
d1d57d7bf3067cfc33042937d0e8061f.jpg
c7e481077edc0708c76bbf372ad27bd3.jpg
9e3b669772db022767b02d610a34ec8d.jpg
4140e93b3310b1992dba3d3e84372f31.jpg
9b6950efa8aa898001f5dcb131f1639f.jpg

any luck with your cascade showing its head above ground beercat?two weeks planted and not a sign of life with mine and all this glorious sunshine:pray:eek:n another note my Trget lost its first two strong shoots earlier this week as the nylon cord it had to grow up looped over a high tree branch whiplashed off as I was cutting the lawn around it gave me a mighty wack across my neck but in doing so beheaded the two shoots:sick:good news is there are more following through as I hadn't yet trimmed the excessive ones back:grin:

My Cascade is up, about 2ft out of the soil, although not as strong as the Styrian Goldings which are already up to 5ft high. Both are 2nd season having been planted last year as rhyzomes. I did lose one of the three.

any luck with your cascade showing its head above ground beercat?two weeks planted and not a sign of life with mine and all this glorious sunshine:pray:eek:n another note my Trget lost its first two strong shoots earlier this week as the nylon cord it had to grow up looped over a high tree branch whiplashed off as I was cutting the lawn around it gave me a mighty wack across my neck but in doing so beheaded the two shoots:sick:good news is there are more following through as I hadn't yet trimmed the excessive ones back:grin:

Well you will be pleased to know that my Prima Donna looks like it is dead :), struggled the second year then gave up.

How is everyone training their bines? Trellis, fence, wigwam?

Mine were originally going to go on the allotment and I was thinking about trying to make them grow around some kind of wigwam structure.

But breaking news: my wife just suggested that I plant them in our garden against the south facing wall of our house! I think the will love it there, it's sheltered and gets lots of sun.

So what's best to train them up the side of a house? I was thinking of lengths of twine straight up to the guttering brackets and anchored in the ground. 2 strings per hop plant? how many bines do you let grow up each string? Are guttering brackets song enough to support the weight of the bines?

the south wall (extension) is only 1 storey (12ft) what happens when they get to the top? Is there an easy way to train them to keep growing up the extension roof? (it would probably have be more helpful if I'd posted photos, but it's dark now - will maybe post some tomorrow)

Its just poked through after 2weeks in the soil. Glad yours are growing. Will post some pics in a week or so. :)

How is everyone training their bines? Trellis, fence, wigwam?

Mine were originally going to go on the allotment and I was thinking about trying to make them grow around some kind of wigwam structure.

But breaking news: my wife just suggested that I plant them in our garden against the south facing wall of our house! I think the will love it there, it's sheltered and gets lots of sun.

So what's best to train them up the side of a house? I was thinking of lengths of twine straight up to the guttering brackets and anchored in the ground. 2 strings per hop plant? how many bines do you let grow up each string? Are guttering brackets song enough to support the weight of the bines?

the south wall (extension) is only 1 storey (12ft) what happens when they get to the top? Is there an easy way to train them to keep growing up the extension roof? (it would probably have be more helpful if I'd posted photos, but it's dark now - will maybe post some tomorrow)
no more than 3 bines per string and ive seen it suggested 2 only and cut back the rest

Prima Donna is showing some signs of life. That shoot was on it when I got it, but it only recently let rip with the leaves.

Vertically it's not really moved tbh, I Imagine most of its energy is going toward growing some roots

IMG-20170410-WA0007.jpg

Here is mine at about 3 weeks old. Cascade. Not growing particularly fast. Slowed down a bit at about 1cm a day. Do they like feeding? I have some seaweed, fish emulsion and humus.
Tomato feed I was informed,wow yours is looking good,mine nothing like just a little scrap of a thing but it is only 4 days since breaking free from the soil

heres my poor cascade specimen:sad:think I must have got the runt of the litter:grin: shouldn't that pink stem bit be under the soil though?

Fairly sure the pink stem should be covered. Where is yours growing? Mine is very warm in the day in polytunnel and i did place a sheet of glass over the bucket as well. I may order some different varieties.

Post deleted at request of @Godsdog
I will try again,thanks chippy lad
heres little baby cascade Rhiszome at 4 weeks buried and waking up slowly,not too bothered about getting anything off it this year and know that the first year is all about it building its root system,anyways theres always crossmyloofe for cascade at a keen price

cascade at 4 weeks[1].jpg

Well you will be pleased to know that my Prima Donna looks like it is dead :), struggled the second year then gave up.

I lied,, it has just showed its head above ground by about 2 inches, talk about slo-mo, not impressed, my Fuggles are 7 feet+, if I had a choice now I would not be buying the dwarf !

Back