Grainfather Brew, Centennial/Citra IPA. US-05 vs S-04.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RKi

Reaction score
Brewed 20L of this earlier and split the batch between yeasts.

11L using S-04 and 9L (Doh!) using US-05.

Recipe :

Title: Split Batch IPA 05 vs S-04

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: American IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 22 liters (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 32 liters
Boil Gravity: 1.045
Efficiency: 75% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.065
Final Gravity: 1.011
ABV (standard): 7.09%
IBU (tinseth): 86.79
SRM (morey): 6.97

FERMENTABLES:
5.5 kg - United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale (91.1%)
0.3 kg - United Kingdom - Wheat (5%)
0.12 kg - German - Melanoidin (2%)
0.12 kg - United Kingdom - Munich (2%)

HOPS:
11 g - Magnum, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 12.8, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 15.47
15 g - Centennial, Type: Pellet, AA: 10.3, Use: Boil for 20 min, IBU: 11.31
26 g - Centennial, Type: Pellet, AA: 10.3, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 16.06
24 g - Centennial, Type: Pellet, AA: 10.3, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 10.83
12 g - Citra, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 14.6, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 6.98
46 g - Centennial, Type: Pellet, AA: 10.3, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 11.42
46 g - Citra, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 14.6, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 14.71
66 g - Centennial, Type: Pellet, AA: 10.3, Use: Dry Hop for 5 days
22 g - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.6, Use: Dry Hop for 5 days

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Fly Sparge, Temp: 66 C, Time: 90 min, Amount: 20 L, 12L
Starting Mash Thickness: 3 L/kg

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
1 each - Protofloc, Time: 15 min, Type: Fining, Use: Boil
1 tsp - Yeast Nutrient, Time: 10 min, Type: Other, Use: Boil

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05
Starter: No
Form: Dry
Attenuation (avg): 81%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Temp: 12.22 - 25 C
Fermentation Temp: 18 C

PRIMING:
Method: Table Sugar
Amount: 118g
CO2 Level: 2.2 Volumes

Managed to absolutely nail my 1.065 target :), i think the 90 minute mash helps with large grain bills.

I'm expecting the US-05 batch to ferment down to approximately 1.010 and the S-04 batch around 1.015.

The US-05 will be fermented at 18C and the S-04 15.5 (had good results before at that temp, kept esters under control).

Both beers will then be cold crashed in primary before being racked on to dry hops and hopefully bottled 6/7 days later. I'm going to cold crash for as little as possible after the dry hops have been added before bottling, as i'm pretty convinced the cold crash temps have been wiping out a lot of my aroma recently. :doh:

Couple of pics of my bizarre fermentation setup + hop sludge left in the grainfather. :thumb:

CIMG0936.jpg

CIMG0937.jpg

I take it you are having issues with the fermenter lids not sealing properly.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

I suspect that the bricks are keeping his FV's well under the water level in the trug that is used to facilitate temp control?

180g of hops in a GF is going to absorb a lot of liquid. Doing some as pellets might reduce liquid losses. You could pelletise them in a food processor that you rinse with boiling water and add to the wort?

I suspect that the bricks are keeping his FV's well under the water level in the trug that is used to facilitate temp control?

180g of hops in a GF is going to absorb a lot of liquid. Doing some as pellets might reduce liquid losses. You could pelletise them in a food processor that you rinse with boiling water and add to the wort?

Quite possibly just looking at the pics.:thumb:

Hmm both of those are going to have there subtle differences while still being very cheeky little brews. From grain to glass...let us know how it goes :)

Both chugging away nicely now. S-04 seems slightly more active at the moment, despite the 2.5C lower fermentation temperature.

S-04 seems done for now. US-05 batch producing a bubble a minute. Have raised temperatures to 20c and 21.5c respectively to hopefully fully attenuate.

Took gravity readings and performed dry hop one just now. The S-04 attenuated down to 1.010! and the US-05 1.008!

Crazy high attenuation, i'm shocked at the 04 in particular. Going to be 7.5 and 7.2% ABV beers.

Both beers received 30g of centennial and 10g of citra.

The samples tasted quite different to each other. The 04 was slightly more mellow and almost more floral, where as the 05 was a bitter hoppy *******. Both very tasty in their own way.

CIMG0943.jpg

CIMG0946.jpg

Just realised how well those photos illustrate the difference in flocculation / clarity between the 2 yeast strains.

Update :

Rather suprisingly, the 04 beer was superior to the 05 beer. It was more well rounded and smooth when compared to the almost slightly spiky character of the 05 beer.

Latest posts

Back