New Grainfather Conical Fermenter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sorry to highjack this away from the GF conical, but it is sort of related.:whistle:

Nibber, if you are using the shelf cooler to cool only, can you do without the Dixell?

I could,but like i said the shelf cooler has a non-adjustable mechanical thermostat (with no idea what the water bath temperature is without inserting a temperature probe)by fitting the Dixell electronic controller i have very accurate water temperature control with an electronic readout display.:smile:

I could,but like i said the shelf cooler has a non-adjustable mechanical thermostat (with no idea what the water bath temperature is without inserting a temperature probe)by fitting the Dixell electronic controller i have very accurate water temperature control with an electronic readout display.:smile:

Afaik, a bigger difference in temperature in a heat exchanger will promote better exchange. so chilling the waterbath to its coldest (0 to -4C) will effect a more efficient chill than cold water @ 5C.. So if you set tyour waterbath temp to be close to your target temp it will take longer to effect the chill..

hence the use of glycol chillers, we dont NEED sub zero temps even for crash chilling and lagering, its the advantage they offer with a higher temperature difference between the brew to chill and the hex medium and the optimum efficiency that provides..

The GF conical was launched at 9pm last night (14th June) in the UK and sold out overnight. Looks like it has been popular.

They had a special deal, free dual valve tap and something else, for the first so many orders.

The SS Brewmaster edition Chronical fermenter is far better quality than the Grainfather Conical -the SS Brewbucket Brewmaster is a very good bit of kit.

.........so, how do they compare?

It's a bit unfair to compare the two as one is many times the price of the other. However I am glad I got the system. The temperature control is excellent probably thank's to it being a double walled thermal insulated vessel. It's heavier than I expected and does take two of us to lift the full fermenter onto a suitable surface ready for emptying. I will be glad when the co2 fitting for the top is available so allow pressure transfers. David Heath has done a good comparison review of the Grainfather conical and the SS Brewmaster Conical which is probably better than trying to compare with the Brewbucket.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3oSGD5qV3w&t=1s[/ame]

Good clip, but maybe not 100% objective? Definite bias there! Good though, nonetheless.

Latest posts

Back