Recommend a grain mill

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martybhoy

Reaction score
I'm venturing into crushing the grain myself.

Does anyone have any recommendations based on their own experience?

I'm venturing into crushing the grain myself.

Does anyone have any recommendations based on their own experience?

Are speaking about whether crushing ir worth it or what you would reccommend as a mill??

Crushing grain is def worth it..

Up to you on the model though, I have a cheaper corona type and you can get them for 20-30 quid I think.. But the bigger bulldog brewers looks much better and cost more..

If I wasn;t a tight git I would say get the bigger more expensive one. but the smaller is fine..

Whats your budget, as I've found even my, 'cheapo twenty quid off ebay chinese copy of a corona mill' very effective but I imagine a proper roller mill would be better (but a lot more expensive)

Looking for model/brand recommendations.

No idea about budget tbh. Prices for new ones on the malt miller, HBC etc seem to be around £90-£100. Are there cheaper ones? And if so, are they any good?

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

This is mine, the Bulldog roller mill.

20170108_114057.jpg

It's a quality piece of kit, and a bargain for the £85 or so it cost. The rollers are connected to each other, so they rotate at the same speed, and have a good grip. With the drill it processes about a kilogram per minute. It leaves the husks largely intact, but crushes the endosperm, so I get good lautering properties and high efficiencies. The gap size is completely adjustable, so I use feeler gauges to set the crush to precisely what it needs to be depending on the grain, recipe or whether I'm doing BIAB or using the all-in-one system.

Whats your budget, as I've found even my, 'cheapo twenty quid off ebay chinese copy of a corona mill' very effective but I imagine a proper roller mill would be better (but a lot more expensive)

Hi MyQul i have similar mill but haven't used yet how have you set yours up i.e. gap any Mods? Sorry for so many questions
Peter

This is mine, the Bulldog roller mill.

20170108_114057.jpg

It's a quality piece of kit, and a bargain for the �£85 or so it cost. The rollers are connected to each other, so they rotate at the same speed, and have a good grip. With the drill it processes about a kilogram per minute. It leaves the husks largely intact, but crushes the endosperm, so I get good lautering properties and high efficiencies. The gap size is completely adjustable, so I use feeler gauges to set the crush to precisely what it needs to be depending on the grain, recipe or whether I'm doing BIAB or using the all-in-one system.

I must admit... If I were to buy again I would go for one of these..

Must admit if i were crushing vast amounts of grain i would buy a pukka crusher.
I have a knock off Corona £20 odd quid.I complained to the ebay seller that it had issues(imho) and wasn't happy.They agreed to collect it and refund me.Never collected it but refunded my dosh.
I relented after some time and started to try it out and now use it to crush all my grains.It is what it is however, a cheap knock off of a Corona mill that has very rough castings.

Must admit if i were crushing vast amounts of grain i would buy a pukka crusher.
I have a knock off Corona �£20 odd quid.I complained to the ebay seller that it had issues(imho) and wasn't happy.They agreed to collect it and refund me.Never collected it but refunded my dosh.
I relented after some time and started to try it out and now use it to crush all my grains.It is what it is however, a cheap knock off of a Corona mill that has very rough castings.

setup right after some messing about mine isn;t too bad but the castings arn;t great.. its hard to get it to clamp on great because nothing sits flush in the aperture (if that's the correct term). Plus it can be a little messy..

That bulldog thing is just the trick.. straight over the bin.. done

Got to say the Bulldog mill is looking like the one.

Cheers for the replies

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

setup right after some messing about mine isn;t too bad but the castings arn;t great.. its hard to get it to clamp on great because nothing sits flush in the aperture (if that's the correct term). Plus it can be a little messy..

That bulldog thing is just the trick.. straight over the bin.. done
Cov, i only do small amounts so it does for that,but yes it does throw the grain about a bit.
I ground some rye up yesterday,boy that's a tough b####r to do.Made a fair old mess as well:whistle:.
Would't recommend it for someone who wants to do much over 20 odd litre brews at a time.

Hi MyQul i have similar mill but haven't used yet how have you set yours up i.e. gap any Mods? Sorry for so many questions
Peter

I havent done any mods to my mill at all. Basically I loosen the wing nuts and begin to coursely grind some grain. As soon as I have some grain between the grinding faces, so they're not grinding together and making any metal flake off, I crank down the wing nuts so they're so tight I can just about turn the handle. I then grind my grain. It grinds it really fine doing this, more or less to flour and I got 85% efficiency on my last brew. It's quite hards to turn and I wouldnt fancy grinding 4kg or 5kg of grain with the wingnuts that tight (I usually do small 5L stove top brew), so would recommend loosening them a bit for larger amounts of grain

I havent done any mods to my mill at all. Basically I loosen the wing nuts and begin to coursely grind some grain. As soon as I have some grain between the grinding faces, so they're not grinding together and making any metal flake off, I crank down the wing nuts so they're so tight I can just about turn the handle. I then grind my grain. It grinds it really fine doing this, more or less to flour and I got 85% efficiency on my last brew. It's quite hards to turn and I wouldnt fancy grinding 4kg or 5kg of grain with the wingnuts that tight (I usually do small 5L stove top brew), so would recommend loosening them a bit for larger amounts of grain
Get some rye and do it-----------------phew it's hard going,put mine through twice

I just tried assembling the Bulldog Mill and it's getting returned. 2 of the screws for mounting the hopper are done so tightly and with cheap **** screws that the heads just instantly stripped. Should have checked it before now as I'm not going to be brewing tomorrow anymore. Well, i might be able to do something with my leftover crushed stuff.

What other options for mills are there? Other sites say that the "Barley Crusher" is good.

I just tried assembling the Bulldog Mill and it's getting returned. 2 of the screws for mounting the hopper are done so tightly and with cheap **** screws that the heads just instantly stripped. Should have checked it before now as I'm not going to be brewing tomorrow anymore. Well, i might be able to do something with my leftover crushed stuff.

What other options for mills are there? Other sites say that the "Barley Crusher" is good.

Mine was fine, but perhaps the company I bought it from loosened them with pliers or the exact correct screwdriver first. I had seen a thread where a lot of people had the same problem as you (link here - worth reading for advice), but assumed that this was no longer a problem otherwise I would've mentioned it. I would recommend trying pliers though, because once the hopper is on it is a great mill.

Latest posts

Back