Lowering the Tone of Our Forum

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I said in another recent thread that I considered that this Forum was, in the main, a friendly place to be, and debate was usually reasonably balanced.
However in the same thread I also said that things were being posted by Forum members that could arguably lead outsiders to believe that we were a bunch of beer swilling tossers, which I am sure you would like to consider you are not.
There have been two or three similar threads in the last few days and occasionally members have exchanged some angry words, leading in one instance to one member being banned.
As Forum members we each of us must, in my view, retain our personal integrity and composure when posting. If you don't do that and type the first angry words you can think of in response to someone who sees things differently or post something best said in private, then you are, in my view letting yourself down, but more importantly lowering the standards we have on this Forum. And if you couldn't give a monkeys about that then perhaps you have no place being here.
I do think the Moderators have a role to play here. There's one thing in allowing folks to say what they want, but an entirely different thing when things start to get out of hand, as evidenced by our former member being banned. In my view better exert some authority early on at risk of stifling the discussion rather than let things slide, since that's what moderation is surely all about.
Anyway, the moral of this post is for us all to think twice about about what we post (or put another way engage brain first before hitting the send key, irrespective of how many glasses you might have had), and then hopefully our Forum will continue to be friendly, and debates can be balanced and not get out of hand.

I said in another recent thread that I considered that this Forum was, in the main, a friendly place to be, and debate was usually reasonably balanced.

However in the same thread I also said that things were being posted by Forum members that could arguably lead outsiders to believe that we were a bunch of beer swilling tossers, which I am sure you would like to consider you are not.

There have been two or three similar threads in the last few days and occasionally members have exchanged some angry words, leading in one instance to one member being banned.

As Forum members we each of us must, in my view, retain our personal integrity and composure when posting. If you don't do that and type the first angry words you can think of in response to someone who sees things differently or post something best said in private, then you are, in my view letting yourself down, but more importantly lowering the standards we have on this Forum. And if you couldn't give a monkeys about that then perhaps you have no place being here.

I do think the Moderators have a role to play here. There's one thing in allowing folks to say what they want, but an entirely different thing when things start to get out of hand, as evidenced by our former member being banned. In my view better exert some authority early on at risk of stifling the discussion rather than let things slide, since that's what moderation is surely all about.

Anyway, the moral of this post is for us all to think twice about about what we post (or put another way engage brain first before hitting the send key, irrespective of how many glasses you might have had), and then hopefully our Forum will continue to be friendly, and debates can be balanced and not get out of hand.

Good post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you want the place to stay friendly there has to be no talking politics or religion...

Personally I like the debate on such matters. I think it's just let down as per OP by overzealous comments and a lack of considerations for people's feelings.

I think some people post tongue in cheek comments (I do that sometimes but like to think politically correct) but others cross the line.

I'm new to this forum so will shut up. It's an awesome forum which is why I've stayed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think where it's debate it's fine, but as has been demonstrated it invariably gets nasty.

I think you need to look at home brewers in todays society, the wine types, the ale types, the craft beer types, we are all going to have completely different personality's, from the more earthy type who will say what ever he/she wants to the sophisticated kind that ponders each sentence and everyone else in between. I come here to dispense advice on beer brewing matters and share my experiences brewing. Brewing - what this forum is all about, and it does the job.
If I was bothered about what I read in 'The Snug' then I just wouldn't go there because as above, these are the opinions of some very different people, different views, outlooks etc. The daily rag can be the daily rag regardless of weather its got a pair of boobies in it, don't like it, skip the page.

Just a thought but how about a separate section for politics and religion ?

I understand where you're coming from and perhaps we need to shut up shop a little more, it can be a little bit tricky because hoping for a bit of self policing only works so far especially when you get people who are on opposite sides of the spectrum who will just not meet any middle ground or agree despite the fact they will take it both to their graves they are correct.. We then just get frustrated and it gets sour and condescending.. At the same time there has been some useful discussion in there too..

Personally and I don't speak on behalf of the mods but just myself I think it is a very hard balance for us to strike with keeping the board happy on how we should react.. Especially since it looks like these topics may not go away and may become normal parts of our day to day life..

I will be thankful when the GE is over aswell..

I personally find this forum a wealth of information and not just in brewing.
I've grown up through a religious divide and it's horrible.
Take a look at history and how wars begin and who's name it's in.
If it was up to me religion would be banned from the forum as it is a recipe for disaster amongst some people.
So as @terrym has pointed out from an outsider's point of view let's try and quell this image and as you can see more and more and attracted to the Snug to give their own input Myself included.
So that being said open another forum and take religious views there as this is a brewing forum and yes I talk of motorcycles but I also do that on another forum and I'm certainly not going to get upset if someone doesn't like my bike.
I like a bit of solace and this is where I find it talking about a hobby/passion I enjoy.
Rant over.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Not easily offended and enjoy the mental exercise of an argument. Sorry.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

I can't apologise for anything I've said, only the way I've said it maybe. Tact and diplomacy have never been strong points. Some subjects we will never,ever agree on. That's the way it is. But I've never intentionally offended anyone to score points or anything like that, just aired opinions as threads invite one to do. Such obviously polarised opinions are destined to result in conflict. I'm staying out of them from here on in. Maybe the mods could ban me from them to save me from temptation to chip in? No, seriously!

If the issue is simply to prevent non-members from seeing the arguing about politics and religion it's easy enough to just make "the snug" visible to members only. Those of us who don't like to see it can just do what I do which is never go there.

It's not an answer though, I don't particularly like having to self censor, only long term solution is to put a stop to it.

I can't apologise for anything I've said, only the way I've said it maybe. Tact and diplomacy have never been strong points. Some subjects we will never,ever agree on. That's the way it is. But I've never intentionally offended anyone to score points or anything like that, just aired opinions as threads invite one to do. Such obviously polarised opinions are destined to result in conflict. I'm staying out of them from here on in. Maybe the mods could ban me from them to save me from temptation to chip in? No, seriously!

Why ? have your say Gunge, if certain people don't like it then a click of the mouse and problem is solved.

Not easily offended and enjoy the mental exercise of an argument. Sorry.
Me too. :thumb:
However, had all ALL things that have been posted recently been reasonably civilised, inoffensive to most folks, not xenophopic, not abusive, to note a few criticisms, but just part of a cut and thrust debate allowing us all the 'the mental exercise of an argument' there would have been no need for this thread.
But sadly there were some that did, hence the reason for my post.

I'd say politics and religion are always going to get the hackles rising...and I have views on both...given the circumstances I think a lot of reserve was shown. They are however rubbish subjects with no answer and no winners....
Now...that bit on boobies sounds interesting. ...maybe a thread could be started...but PLEASE ...include other varieties of birds incase if causes an argument!

Cheers

Clint

Gunge for pm!...oops!

Back