Lowering the Tone of Our Forum

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers Terrym...now i'm googling birds with rude sounding names.:rofl:

I do think the Moderators have a role to play here. There's one thing in allowing folks to say what they want, but an entirely different thing when things start to get out of hand, as evidenced by our former member being banned. In my view better exert some authority early on at risk of stifling the discussion rather than let things slide, since that's what moderation is surely all about.

The problem with that is we often get accused of censorship when we take action so my take on it is do nothing until a specific rule is broken (as in the case of the now banned Tanz) we all have the ability to report individual posts and like your request for the thread to be closed we will always discuss reports and take action if we deem it necessary.

I'd like to make very clear that although Tanz twice called me a phrase Chippy would rather I didn't repeat here, at no point did I make any complaint about his posts to the mods. To be frank I have been called a lot worse than he called me. I wasn't offended by it, it washed over me and I was happy to continue to debate the issues.

I'd like to make very clear that although Tanz twice called me a phrase Chippy would rather I didn't repeat here, at no point did I make any complaint about his posts to the mods. To be frank I have been called a lot worse than he called me. I wasn't offended by it, it washed over me and I was happy to continue to debate the issues.

I warned him after his first outburst that we don't tolerate personal abuse i even pointed him to rule one of the forum T&C's he decided not to listen and again gave Ajhutch both barrels leaving us no choice.

You appear to taken the job of self appointed judge, jury and moderator.
What may be offensive to you is not necessarily offensive to others .
Also nobody was abusing any other individual, so how did you come to that critism?
So, here we go....
1. I have not appointed myself to do anything. Read what I have said which is to ask people to carefully consider what they post. Whether they do or not is entirely up to them, and whether the moderators see fit to respond is up to them as well.
2. I fully agree with your statement about what may be offensive to me is not necessarily offensive to others. The same applies to all of us, including yourself. So the argument then becomes where the line is drawn. My point is what is posted on here defines our Forum.
3. I read several posts on here where it could be construed that people were getting nasty towards one another, which is unnecessary, and my understanding is that that's why one member was banned. Perhaps you view 'abusing' differently to me.

So, here we go....

1. I have not appointed myself to do anything. Read what I have said which is to ask people to carefully consider what they post. Whether they do or not is entirely up to them, and whether the moderators see fit to respond is up to them as well.

2. I fully agree with your statement about what may be offensive to me is not necessarily offensive to others. The same applies to all of us, including yourself. So the argument then becomes where the line is drawn. My point is what is posted on here defines our Forum.

3. I read several posts on here where it could be construed that people were getting nasty towards one another, which is unnecessary, and my understanding is that that's why one member was banned. Perhaps you view 'abusing' differently to me.

Let's not argue folks. It's a point well made by Terry. Let's debate not argue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a peaceful forum compared to a fishing forum i use.
Blimey,war breaks out over how a certain fly should be tied:lol:,people are always getting banned:lol:
politics and religion do tend to attract some attention however:doh:

I've belonged, and still belong, to a number of forums and if you stick to the subject relating to the forum (mainly football with me), things are usually fine but as soon as a thread relating to politics or religion is started, that's where you'll find the problems.

If those same people were sat around a table in a pub discussing the same subject, things would be fine as when people are face-to-face, they generally behave with a certain level of decency and respect. Behind a keyboard, however, it's very difficult to pick up nuances and tones and people will write things they wouldn't say to someone's face.

Personally, I couldn't care less what people write or how different their opinion might be to mine, and I like debate and a good argument.

Honestly though, if anyone's truly offended by some of the threads I've seen on here, for God's sake don't use Twitter!

So, here we go....

No it doesn't
Its quite clear in the description

'This is the place for all non brewing chat'

@terrym well done for the post. Good strong statement with good intent and sentiment .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back