It's my birthday and I'll brew if I want to

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Home straight!!!
bd5ec9b8051a85c9649551ffc282aa34.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Absolutely disaster on the last one. Completely stuck mash. I've had to try and save it by straining, no matter what I done, it didn't move. Bugger knows how this will turn out

Absolutely disaster on the last one. Completely stuck mash. I've had to try and save it by straining, no matter what I done, it didn't move. Bugger knows how this will turn out

Reheat your wort and run it back through the mash tun.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Nice one, I've done that. Hopefully it'll be alright.

Stuck smuck. Focus. You're jumping into legend land here. In one day you're going to achieve legend status and a glass that is embedded with emaralds and pea... no. You ain't gonna get sh**! But you've gotten a lot of our attention and respect! And most important you're going to get a liquid that was blessed by the gods... BEER!
Happy birthday bud. Now you can brew! Stay cool and pass on the education!

Cheers japanbrew, appreciate that. It's annoying but I'm back on track. As you say I'll get beer at the end. And I can't get much happier then that.

Well it's been a long day and eventful here and there. So time to chill with my first beer of the day. Not the best beer in the world but it's cheap and it's refreshing.
09e2cd33af847f7f2e38ba3990f04643.jpg

Well the NEIPA has come out at 1060, supposed to be 1057, so not too far off. Smells lovely, tastes pretty good.
94930a5d81b1239cb64a3d662b6979c0.jpg

Cheers mate. I'm now officially all done for the day. It's been a great way to spend my birthday. I'll be back with updates. Night everyone

Well it's been a long day and eventful here and there. So time to chill with my first beer of the day. Not the best beer in the world but it's cheap and it's refreshing.
09e2cd33af847f7f2e38ba3990f04643.jpg

You deserve it!

Well, nearly 24 hours on and there's plenty of activity. The NEIPA is foaming!!! Never had that before.
9e668769c76cb3e0f9f0c3716e6b888b.jpg

Well it's been nearly 2 weeks and all is coming along nicely. So time for an update.

The NEIPA was dry hopped 36 hours in at high krausen with 30g each of El Dorado, mosaic and citra. The raspberry's​ were added to the raspberry smoothie ipa on day 4. Then both were dry hopped on this Sunday after 10 days. The NEIPA with 40g of the same combo and the raspberry smoothie with 200g of citra. Lovely smells coming off both. At this point I tested the gravity, wheat at 1008, NEIPA at 1010 and the raspberry at 1012.

That brings me up to today where I had a quick taste and a gravity test.

The erdinger clone, seems to be spot on, tastes lovely, classic wheat beer colour and sweetness. Perfect for summer. And is still at 1008, so works out at 4.73%

The raspberry I couldn't really taste as i just chucked the pellets in for the dry hop, so the sample was a bit sludgy. Gonna cold crash this one. But the gravity appears to be 1012, so 5.64%

The NEIPA is something else. The smell is amazing, instant tropical fruit juice, mangos, peach, so nice. The taste has a hint of bitterness and then the tropical hits. Can't wait till this is fully ready. Shouldn't of added a whirlfloc tablet though, it's cleared it up so not quite the profile of an NEIPA. However the gravity has dropped down to 1005. So if that's it this will end up being 7.22%!!

I'm gonna give a go at harvesting the yeast on both the wheat and the NEIPA, first attempt at doing this so any advice welcome.

Giving them all till the Weekender​ and then they'll be going into the kegs and into my newly made kegerator, put together yesterday. Chuffed to bits with it.
00c3228ce94ad6f2fac132308658635a.jpg

So tomorrow I turn 33. I've taken the day off work, to try and do 3 brews in a day special. I've started this thread more of a reminder to myself as to recipes ingredients and an easy place to keep everything noted down. Feel free to join in or leave me to bang on by meself.

've been brewing since I was a teenager, but only very recently have got into all grain. When I say recently I started 3 weeks ago, done my first brew which took 6 hours and then 2 in one day, 2 days later, taking 10 hours. Surely 3 must be possible if I start at about 6 in the morning!! All from Marc ollossons real ales for the home brewer. I done, Townes ipa, Waverley 70 and 100% satisfaction. All og's and fg's hit. Bottled them tonight, all tasting lovely and happy with how they've come out so far. Anyways, I'm waffling. Tomorrow, I plan on doing some different styles, so here's the plans:

Brew 1 - Erdinger clone:

Grain

2950g wheat malt
2420g pale malt
500g oat hulls

Hops

18g Tettnang Hops (90 Minutes)
12g Perle Hops ( 90 Minutes)
10g Tettnang Hops (45 Minutes)
10g Tettnang Hops ( 15 minutes)

Yeast

WLP300

Will be my first go at a wheat, I've drunk Erdinger here and there over the years, perfect for the summer. 23 batch size.

Brew 2 - Raspberry smoothie IPA

4500g Maris otter pale
250g carapils
250g crystal
600g rolled oats
500g lactose
2100g raspberries (added in Fv)

Hops

20g Apollo (45 mins)
30g citra (15 mins)
70g citra (80c whirlpool)
200g citra (dry hop)

Yeast

Safale - US-05

Seen this recipe on Adam at baldys home brew channel and thought it sounded amazing. Couldn't wait to give it a go. 19 litre batch size.

Brew 3 - NEIPA

Grain

6000g Maris otter
1000g porridge oats

Hops

10g magnum (60 mins)
30g citra (80c whirlpool)
30g mosaic (80c whirlpool)
30g el dorado (80c whirlpool)
40g citra (dry hop)
40g mosaic (dry hop)
40g el dorado (dry hop)
40g citra (dry hop after fermentation)
40g mosaic (dry hop after fermentation)
40g el dorado (dry hop after fermentation)

Yeast

Yeast bay - Vermont ale

Saw this recipe on abbey homebrews channel. Once again looks amazing, got the mouth watering just thinking about it.

So there we have it, 3 brews 1 day in a 3 tier system. Probably taking on more then I should but if I can get it all done in one day it saves me the ear ache from the missus. Wish me luck.

So u dry hop during fermentation? Interesting.
Great post. Must try porridge oats.

Yes mate. According to the recipe it should be at high krausen. For me that was 36 hours in. Could have even gone earlier, this Vermont ale yeast was a quick starter

It's against my rule of thumb but I've a similar situation with my latest batch. I believe it's almost finished but Its only the fourth day in from 5pm today. It should be at the phase of cleaning up. I'm wondering if. Could get away with a dry hop and bottle this weekend. It's an 11litre batch and I overpitched.
I also shouldn't have a risk of fusels as I used a very durable yeast (mauribrew​ 514)
Although due to time constraints it maybe a better idea to get another brew on instead.
Decision time
At least ur beers are healthy looking, as in fermentation. I remember a similar eruption was back but just left it. I wiped the lid by didn't want to introduce any nasties removing the crusty airlock.
Are those two next to each other the three piece ones?

Nope just your standard s type airlocks. Always done the job for me. Good luck with your brew. I've always dry hopped for a minimum of 4 days before I bottled. But that's just me

Back