Wine Storage

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well,it's been in the keg for about a week
Seems good to me, think this will be the norm for me
Hate bottling

I've just embarked on 30 bottle wine kits, Wine Buddy Sauvignon Blanc on the go at the moment from the recent Tesco clearance sale.

I've bought some of these off eBay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-Litre-B...Homebrew-Plain-White-Boxes-1-10-/301821188075

Worked out at �£2.84 each when I bought six of them which I don't think is bad value give that they can be reused a number of times.

I plan to bag between 10 & 15L per kit and then put the remains in bottles to see if the quality improves with longer maturing.

Just a quick update on these incase anyone has bought them, it was time to bottle / bag the Sauvignon Blanc kit last night, having not used the wine bags before I was somewhat finding my way with these.

First one I put the bag in the box and filled it from the tap on my bottling bucket, all good, put the tap on, expelled the remaining air and closed up the box.

Next one I had some slight spillage (not concentrating) and quickly realised this was not good for the cardboard box, I took the nearly full bag out and attempted to rescue the box by sticking it somewhere to dry for use with another bag replacing it with a fresh box. Having now learnt this lesson I finished filling the bag away from the box, put the tap on and gave it a wipe to clean it up, and then fitted in the box. Two out of three done (planned to put 15L in boxes the rest in bottles).

Filled the third one again separate from the cardboard box and fitted it in after. Stuck the three boxes on the floor temporarily and went about putting the rest in bottles.

All done, went to put the wine boxes on the shelf and one of them was very wet on the underside. Can't be just spillage I thought to myself, took the bag out and yes it's leaking :mad: Had to prepare another wine bag and transfer the contents of this one into that. The cardboard box was a write off as it was soaking.

I've no idea if it was leaking from the outset or if I somehow caused it to leak. If I decide to carry on using these I'll test them first with some water and then check them again before putting it into the cardboard. Lessons learned and all that. I hope I haven't oxidised the wine I had to transfer into a new bag but we'll earmark that one to be drunk first. At least it was only a Wine Buddy kit that cost me £12 in the Tesco clearance sale.

Back