Advice on dry hopping?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi folks, I've got a 1 gallon batch of IPA fermenting away in the shed and I wouldn't mind chucking in some Amarillo hops near the end of the fermenting phase (4 days from the end).

Couple of questions:- can I just chuck in my Amarillo hop pellets dry on top of the demiijohn? or do I need to put them in a sanitized muslin bag (which would be weighted down)

And is 4 days too long or not enough?

Thanks in advance.

You can do it either way, you may prefer a muslin bag weighed down for clean up..

Wait for fermentation to finish then dry hop it. 4 days is fine, I normally do 5-7

With pellets I've just chucked them in loose as they completely break up anyway however being able to chill crash really helps make them settle out to the bottom, before racking.

I hear that with leaf hops you're better off bagging them as otherwise they just float on top.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

If you just throw the pellets in, make sure you tie a muslin bag over the end of your syphon tube when you bottle the beer as it will stop a lot of the sediment transferring into the bottles. The pellets will float at first but will eventually drop with the trub to the bottom of the DJ

A muslin bag will help contain the vast majority of debris which should help reduce the chance of any bits being racked of, with a 1 gallon batch you wan to get as much beer transferred as you can to hit the 9 x 500ml bottles.

The do look good. Are they fine enough to stop some hop pellet debris escaping or are they only suitable for leaves?

Have found the best way to clean them is to tip the hop debris out rinse and let dry, any further crud can then just be rubbed of before a final wash. they can be a pain to get totally clean when the hope crud is wet

Have found the best way to clean them is to tip the hop debris out rinse and let dry, any further crud can then just be rubbed of before a final wash. they can be a pain to get totally clean when the hope crud is wet
Nice one.
Thanks for the info.

I go commando, but cold crash and use gelatin. I also use a siphon - could never keep the crud out with a tap and got sick of the cleaning/infection.

I used to use muslin, but don't believe enough of the flavour gets out, then you have to clean or replace the muslin, and it has to be sterilised...

I go commando, but cold crash and use gelatin. I also use a siphon - could never keep the crud out with a tap and got sick of the cleaning/infection.

I used to use muslin, but don't believe enough of the flavour gets out, then you have to clean or replace the muslin, and it has to be sterilised...
That's what I normally do, just throw them in. I haven't got a brew fridge though so can't cold crash in this weather.
Auto siphon with a little bottler attached and a couple of hop straining bags on the end of the bottler. Works OK with mini kegs, but it's a bit of a pain in bottles.
At the price these tea strainers are, I think they must be worth a go.

Trouble with teaball and even muslin bags is that pellet hops tend to clump tightly together and give up less aroma/ taste,if you can throw them in loose,more bang for buck

+1 for chucking them in - use a mesh bag over the FV end of the syphon - no problems
:cheers:

Trouble with teaball and even muslin bags is that pellet hops tend to clump tightly together and give up less aroma/ taste,if you can throw them in loose,more bang for buck

Very much correct, but if you want to reuse the yeast cake you have to use something to keep the hops separate.

Does a hop tea give you the exact same results as dry? As in aroma, flavour etc.
I'm thinking of using my biab bag. Don't want to cut it down so I'll fold it and tie it so the hops still have space to expand.
Tired of the muslins now. They soak up loads of beer, and I'll hopefully get less 'drippage' when pulling it out :)

Back