Merky Trump IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Junglist69

Reaction score
First attempt at putting a recipe together. Basically, using ingredients I've got left over from my first 6 brews. And maybe purchasing a couple of extras to make a theme work. Which if you haven't guessed by the politically motivated name is a German and American cross over. I was gonna do a beer called 3 way IPA, with 3 bittering hops and 3 aroma hops from the UK, Germany and America. Once again just cos of what I've got left over. But decided to try this recipe first.

I'm aiming for something that is sessionable, slightly bitter, sweet and a smashing of fruityness. I'm waffling, so here's the recipe, it's gonna be a half batch at 12l:

Grain bill:

2kg pale malt
500g wheat malt

Hop additions:

5g Apollo at 60 mins
5g magnum at 60 mins
10g Apollo at 20 mins
10g equinox at 20 mins
10g hallertaur blanc at 20 mins
15g equinox at 5 mins
15g hallertaur blanc at 5 mins
25g equinox - dry hop 4 days before bottling
25g hallertaur blanc - dry hop 4 days before bottling

Comes out around 84 IBUs and 4.4%

Any thoughts and suggestions are very much welcome. Cheers.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Firstly, there's no way 2.5kg of grain will get you a 4.4% beer. At 70% efficiency you would need about 4.2kg total grain.

Also, I would find the bitterness would completely overbalance the grain. For a session IPA of around 4.5% I wouldn't want my IBUs to be much higher than about 45.

Cheers for the reply mate, it's only a 12l batch so 2.5kg should be enough I believe? Maybe half the 60min hop additions?

Cheers for the reply mate, it's only a 12l batch so 2.5kg should be enough I believe? Maybe half the 60min hop additions?

I really need to start paying attention to people's volumes! That's twice in a week I've assumed a small batch was 23L

Haha. No probs, I appreciate the input. If I drop the 20 mins additions in half down to 5g each, it brings down the IBUs to 64. Still too much?

Now I've not payed attention. Just noticed you said no more than 45!!

Now I've not payed attention. Just noticed you said no more than 45!!

Yeah I aim for between 0.8:1 and 1:1 ratio for IPAs I do, I know some people go up to 1.2 or 1.4, it's personal preference really but I would think anything over 50IBUs at that strength with no crystal to balance it out might taste too bitter.

Right, new updated recipe:

Grain bill:

2.3kg pale malt
500g wheat malt
50g crystal

Hop additions:

3g Apollo at 60 mins
3g magnum at 60 mins
5g Apollo at 20 mins
10g equinox at 20 mins
10g hallertaur blanc at 20 mins
10g equinox at 5 mins
10g hallertaur blanc at 5 mins
30g equinox - dry hop 4 days before bottling
30g hallertaur blanc - dry hop 4 days before bottling

Brings down the IBUs to 53 and bumps the abv up to 5%.

Back