Degassing How do you tell when the gas has gone

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

APINTA

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi back again for more advice I have just about to clear my wine of course all the instructions say degas your wine which I have done. I use a drill and one of these http://www.home-brew-online.com/equ...ool-p1107?mc_cid=a9bd55175c&mc_eid=64d5649659
Now i have been using it at full speed for two days but once stopped I still get froth on the top of the wine So I do not know if I have got rid of the gas or not on two of my demijohns it disperse very quick but on my carboy it takes a minute or so to disappear So how do you know you have degassed it right if you still get bubbles on top.Like I said I start off slow then go full speed with the drill

Are you sure that you're not pulling air into the wine due to letting the degassing wand break the surface or maybe (from your description) by spinning it too quickly and forming a deep vortex?

Alternatively, maybe the wine hasn't finished fermenting yet and if that is the case then it needs to be left for another week or three.

Hope this helps. :thumb:

I use a drill and wand and start it in forward until the vortex just starts then revers until it starts again then keep switching for about a minute.

Back