Sparging Techniques

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakey.goodman

Reaction score
I love this forum! Seem to be learning about 10 things new every time I visit. You really cannot beat learning from other peoples experiences/mistakes, and peoples years of knowledge! So for that, a massive thank you.

I have been using BrewStews FANTASTIC guide for my first two all grains. Is BrewStews method of sparging Batch or Fly? I always assumed it was a simplified fly sparging method (without the need of fancy equipment). I want to change my method, as the last 2 brews have meant I have had to back liquor when in the FV due to evaporation (to get the SG and volume correct).

Luckily, although I have had to back liquor, it always end up spot on in the end (i.e correct volume and gravity), but I want to try and be a little more accurate and scientific. Is there a better way of sparging for AG#3.

So my question is, do i get a fancy fly sparge arm? Can I make one? Should I try piercing more holes in the tin foil, in the hope to reach my desired volume before hitting 0.990? Do I need to stop worrying about it?!

Also, I have been having a problem draining the liquid from my mash tun. My boiler strainer blocks up so much that it just dribbles out. I usually end up stirring it frantically to get it to drain. Is it just a case of making a larger strainer with more slots in it?

Faaar to much to learn!

I've got a fancy spiny sparger . . . but since getting it I have not got around to using it . . . I'm still jugging water in from the HLT over some perforated tin foil . . . Its a simple fly sparge technique, and as it works why worry about something else

Aleman said:
I've got a fancy spiny sparger . . . but since getting it I have not got around to using it . . . I'm still jugging water in from the HLT over some perforated tin foil . . . Its a simple fly sparge technique, and as it works why worry about something else

Cheers Aleman, that is generally my theory. On batch #3 I am going to try slower sparging with more holes in the foil. Will see if it makes any difference.

Ive made a sparger today just a legnth of copper pipe capped off at one end then drilled with a 1mm drill simply connect to your hose from your hlt (not tested though till tomorrow) but im sure it will work might need a pump though :D

Latest posts

Back