Dead space and mash thickness

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbie

Reaction score
I’ve been struggling with hitting my gravity/volume, hopefully I can get some advice here…

I use round cooler mash tun with a false bottom, and an elbow angled down towards the base. There is about 4 litres volume under the false bottom, but with the suction effect there is maximum half a litre that isn’t drained when I run-off.

When I calculate my mash thickness how do I take account of the 4 litres under the false bottom? I can’t imagine that I am getting any extraction from the liquor under the grain bed, so should I be adding an extra 4 litres liquor and accepting I will end up with a (relatively) lower gravity?

When I run-off I find it takes a long time to start getting clear wort, I think some smaller bits and pieces find their way under the false bottom and sit in the dead space during the mash; is it right that I have to vorlauf at least the first 4 litres to “empty” the volume under the false bottom? And this is the same after every batch sparge addition…

It might be easier to work an example with 4 kg grain say, how much liquor should I add initially and how much can I expect to vorlauf and then collect?
Then what volumes would you recommend to add for batch sparging (aiming for say 25 litres into the kettle)?

Right, I’ve done a bit more thinking (and reading) and might have got things straight in my head…
Say I’m aiming for 25 litres in my kettle pre-boil, and am using 5 kg grain. My mash tun has 4 litres under the false bottom and I have an elbow installed which means I can recover 3.5 of those 4 litres.

I’ll collect 2 equal batches of 25 / 2 = 12.5 litres

Mash water is 2.5 x 5 + 4 litres = 16.5 litres. Of which I will be able to collect
16.5 – 5 (absorbed by grain) – 0.5 (dead space) = 11 litres

So I top-up with 1.5 litres before lautering. During lautering I will need to circulate about 6 litres (since there is 4 litres of liquid sat under the grain during the mash) before I start collecting in the kettle.

Then I’ll batch sparge with 12.5 litres, which should result in another 12.5 litres to the kettle.

Does this seem correct? :hmm:

Latest posts

Back