Brewing short and effect on final gravities?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopping_Mad

Regular.
Reaction score
So, measuring gravity is an exercise in measuring the density of a liquid right?

When I've brewed cider the expected gravity is 1000, same as water, so, once the yeasties have done their thing in cider and turned the sugar to alcohol it's the same density as water (I assume this is why the cider immediately post fermentation tastes so dry and brewers add sugar/sweetener back in to suit some tastes?)

Beers never end up at 1000, so something in the beer, post fermentation, makes it denser than water (proteins and other stuff I'm not sure on).

My question is, if I've brewed a kit with a quoted target final gravity, but brewed it short to 20ltrs instead of 23ltrs, I reckon I can forget the target FG as those 'fermentation leftovers' are in less liquid, and it's therefore denser?

I have a Milestone Lions Pride which I have brewed short after reading some reviews, but I've had constant readings after 10 days at 1014, and I wouldn't usually be satisfied with that. I'm wondering now If that is down to brewing short? If I knew what yeast it was I could check the expected attenuation.

Is my science legit, or am I talking doo-dah? :-?

The FG of a beer is higher than that of a cider as all the sugar in apples is fermentable. Malt from barley is around 25% not fermentable.

On this basis 1014 may be a little high, but if it is not dropping, then I would say just bottle, but don't over prime.

i tend to agree with slid,

but i think the math would be something like ....assuming a target of 1.012 or 12 gravity points if 3 litres short of 23l the concentration effect should be 12 x (23/20) so 13.8 therfore 1013.8 or basically 1.014 ;)

tho im not 100% sure of the math ;)

Latest posts

Back