advice on how to save a flat kegged lager batch

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ale1125

Reaction score
hey! this is my first post by the way, the question is for a coopers mexican cerveza kit which I made a while ago (could be about 5 months) and now gladly i've moved onto partial mash nearly all grain brewing.

I didn't prime this batch of cerveza but did keg it- (lets assume) 5 months later i've bottled some from the keg, added some brewing sugar and its been 4/5 days and it is still flat when i've opened a bottle.

My question is how do you guys advise I save this batch?

I have heard of something like "yeast restarter/reactivator" etc, or should I just put another sachet/half/1/4 sachet of yeast in and add more priming sugar into the keg to fizz it up?

Thanks for any help

To be honest, if you are doing partial mash / extract beer, then the effort you put into rescuing a 5 month old flat kit is a waste of time.

Put you effort into a new batch, because even if you can partially rescue the old one, it ain't a good bet it will be great.

4-5 days isnt long enough.. there is yeast in there but it is probably gonna take at least another week before its going to be a large enough population to condition the beer so give it an extra week above the usual fortnight to condition and then test another bottle

Thanks for the replies,

I understand where your coming from Slid and would probably ditch the batch if I needed the keg but for now as long as the solution is cheap i'd be interested in saving it out of curiosity at least, i'm still learning!

Thanks Fil I will wait for that amount of time and open some more test bottles, then look further into it if the problems are still there.

Fair enough.

If you really want to try, i would suggest getting a bit of a yeast starter going before adding it to the keg. Plenty of advice on this in the "Ingredients" part of the Forum - yeast plus water and DME - pitch when it's definitely on the move. I'd also add a small amount of sugar (100g?) on general grounds. (This is actually the same sort of advice Fil is giving, I think.)

I myself am guilty of wasting time and effort on dodgy brews and can sympathise. Good luck :cheers:

Latest posts

Back