Out of date kits

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoviceBrew

Reaction score
Hi folks. What's the verdict on out of date beer kits? I've just discovered a Samson's Strong Ale kit in the garage and, delighted as I am, it's got AUG 2012 stamped on the bottom. Is it to be treated as a 'use by' date or can I apply 'best before' discression?

Thanks in advance!

If there is yeast with it, bin it and get fresh yeast!!! Something that suits the beer style.

Some reckon that the homebrew 'twang' you can get sometimes is due to the deterioration of the malt extract sat in a tin can for too long but why not give it a go - it's only going to cost you some yeast and brewing sugar if you get the cheapest ingredients!!!

It might come out great, or it might just be drinkable. If it's undrinkable the it cost a fiver for yeast and sugar!!!

Plenty have tried and ended up satisfied - go for it!

Recently completed a Geordie Lager kit that was 4/5 months out of date, did some digging and the general census was if the can wasn't bulging it was okay to use. I'd definitely get some fresh yeast, I used the yeast that came with the kit and the beer has ended up quite watery, we had floating trub at the end of fermentation and the finished product ended up at 3.8%. Had the first bottle of this last night and it wasn't too bad actually!

Get stuck in and let us know how it turns out :thumb:

Thanks very much for the tips, guys. I started the kit 2 nights ago with fresh yeast and bog standard brewing sugar and it's bubbling away ferociously! I'll let you know what the end result is like.

Cheers!

I bought 4 out of date kits that were just barely (1-3 months) past their date, but had obviously been stored in their garage (it's over 38*C in the summers here), and though I used better yeast, tossed the corn sugar for DME, and boiled that DME for 20 mins giving it an additional 20 min flavor and 5 min aroma additions they were terrible. Most had a molasses taste to them at best.

But I doubt it gets so nasty hot up there… Give it a shot and see. It will only cost you some yeast and sugar.

Back