Lakeland shop

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nobbynormal

Reaction score
I just picked up some real bargains in Lakeland. Usually a bit more expensive but they are unfortunately discontinuing their Homebrew range and selling cheap. E.g. Kilo brewing sugar 99p yeasts 49p and equipment cheap.

I just picked up some real bargains in Lakeland. Usually a bit more expensive but they are unfortunately discontinuing their Homebrew range and selling cheap. E.g. Kilo brewing sugar 99p yeasts 49p and equipment cheap.
purchased(online) yesterday a screw cap for pressure barrel with cartridge for co2 for £7.99 incl postage,that is very cheap,actual cost £4.99:thumb:
Off to have a peruse at our local shop tomorrow:)

purchased(online) yesterday a screw cap for pressure barrel with cartridge holder for co2 for £7.99 incl postage,that is very cheap,actual cost £4.99:thumb:

some bargains but i wouldnt spend 99p on 'brewers' sugar, thats a 30p overhead mainly for for the word brewers on the label! :whistle:

purchased(online) yesterday a screw cap for pressure barrel with cartridge holder for co2 for �£7.99 incl postage,that is very cheap,actual cost �£4.99:thumb:

Just picked up 3 stereliser £2.97,another barrel top and c02 holder £1.99,a very basic brewingbook(something to read) £1.49,two airlocks £0.99 and another thermometer £0.99:thumb::thumb:.Not much left on the shelves, went to two branches as well!

some bargains but i wouldnt spend 99p on 'brewers' sugar, thats a 30p overhead mainly for for the word brewers on the label! :whistle:

It is dextrose monohydrate, not just relabelled granulated sugar!

It is dextrose monohydrate, not just relabelled granulated sugar!

Im far from a chemist,

Sucrose.jpg

afaik dextrose monohydrate is aka Glucose B.P.

fructose is a basic monosacheride with zero flavour impact beyond the usual thining/drying common to all fermented monosacherides.

Yeast do need to 'snap' the two monosaccharides apart before munching down on them which in commercial set ups can result in an extra 12hours or so in primary fermentation,which at home isnt one of our usual key issues.

Do the yeast suffer from the extra 'work' involved in snapping the sucrose ?? afaik no.

So while your correct they are not exactly the same thing, the result of using either is the same beyond a nominal difference in time elapsed for the fermentation.

Hmmmm, that's interesting, I've never looked into that before.

Brewing with Sucrose is generally* said to give a cidery-type taste to the finished product, but is that actually true? I've not brewed with sucrose for 25 years, so I don't recall

*Brewing kit instructions, internet forums, etc.

I've made cider with sucrose - that had a cidery flavour! ;)

Ha tbh ive not used it beyond priming charges and the very odd emergency starter for quite a few years too. My chemistry lesson came from Mr CJJ Berry (the wine guy) when i had a country wine kick while between jobs some time ago when microsoft shipped manuals printed on paper and s/w on floppies (43 iirc for office 2 with about 60kg of manuals) and brewing references were found in the library and sneaky lunch time reads in bookshops before you were welcome to sit n read with a £5 coffee.

invert / brewers candy (pre-cracked sucrose) can be made from boiling a sucrose solution with some citric acid, So.... Perhaps.... If these are not associated with a cidery taste perhaps thats a side effect of the yeast doing the 'cracking'??

Cidery-type taste however is a new one to me ?? perhaps thats a reference to the 'dry-ness' rather than any apple hint??

Back