Polypins

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you have to be a bit careful, they won't stand high levels are carbonation. I've seen people talk about having to regularly release the pressure on them. They are probably good for english ales but not lagers or anything too fizzy.

I used to have a 10 litre polypin, and it was fine to carb on, ales and stouts, if it started to balloon a bit to much for my liking you just let a little gas out via the tap.

Yes after you've dispensed some you need to place a weight on top to stop air glugging back in.
A while ago I speculated (I don't use polypins) that sticking a weight on them had another benefit - the slight pressure (<2psi) would help retain some CO2 condition (about 1.0-1.1 volumes of CO2) rather than let it fritter away (to about 0.9 volumes, provided air hasn't disastrously been glugging through the tap). Ideal for serving up British "cask-conditioned" style ales.

Conditioning to greater levels in a polypin will require a very steady nerve and some contingency management in case of disaster (boom!).

I don't think polypins are suitable for long-term storage. The material used for polypins is permeable to gases like oxygen (in) and carbon dioxide (out). About a month to six weeks shelf life seems to be the accepted period.

I've had good shelf life using vinotainers for wine and these look like the same thing, anyway reading this thread a few days ago got me thinking and researching, i've just won a beer engine on ebay which I plan is to connect directly to polypin tap.

Looking forward to getting it set up but I might keep it hidden from the wife for a while until i'm feeling brave.

Latest posts

Back