Proposed Brew House Design

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iamthefly

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to this game, but my dad and I are going to build a small brew shed.

Brewing will be done using a 'Klarstein brew kettle and mash tun'. Not entirely sure how it going to work, but does this diagram seem right to you?

Still not sure how sparging is supposed to work with the Klarstein.

Apologies for my drawing skills.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzhQG7zbNKzZX2tpNFdMRGpaSTg/view?usp=drivesdk

Edit: Sorry, having trouble pasting/sharing pictures directly on this forum. Please click the link to view.

This shows how I think sparging might work, with the bag raised up hanging from hooks.

Cheers

20170305_112942.jpg

Picture is showing now, I'm not familiar with the Klarstein but it may be possible to skip the sparge and do a full volume mash instead.

I think @dps51 recently bought a Klarstein? and may be able to help

you don't have a bag with the klarsitein
other than that your system would work grate
see this
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWldKJG4YhA&feature=youtu.be[/ame]

Looks fantastic. It works in a similar way to a grain father. What I don't understand is the huge difference in price
I also don't understand the difference in price
at the end of the day they do the same job

It's the same as the the ace microbrewery. Looks a great bit of kit for the price. So tempted

Hi!
Your sketch is very clear.
You won't have a bag - the Klarstein has a SS grain "basket" that rests on lugs on the top of the unit.
Assuming that you are using a magnetic drive pump (rather than direct drive) I would advise moving the flow restrictor so that it is after the pump i.e. it controls the outflow from the pump. The tap from your HLT (tea urn) will be fully open giving the maximum inflow to the pump.
Colin

It the same as the ace mash tun which is £150, but includes the bag and has a digital display. The Klarstein bag is an extra £20. The ace microbrewery is the next level up at £320. For the extra cash you get a control computer and a mash circulator pump. The microbrewery is out of my price range, but I can Jimmy together a Wort circulation hose and pump for about £20 and manage the temp and timings myself. I think.

Too much automation might take the fun out (I know I'll look back and realise that by 'fun' I meant 'frustration')

Being stainless steel I can stick bags etc to the side with magnets. And magnets are cool.

Hi!
Your sketch is very clear.
You won't have a bag - the Klarstein has a SS grain "basket" that rests on lugs on the top of the unit.
Assuming that you are using a magnetic drive pump (rather than direct drive) I would advise moving the flow restrictor so that it is after the pump i.e. it controls the outflow from the pump. The tap from your HLT (tea urn) will be fully open giving the maximum inflow to the pump.
Colin

Thanks.

Considering skipping sparging and ditching the urn. Perhaps just to start with. I prefer low ABV anyway.

Hi!
I didn't realise that Klarstein did a boiler/mash tun; as you say it is the same as the ACE boiler/mash tun.
I was advised to discard the bag and mash on the false bottom that came with the ACE to improve efficiency.
The plan is to recirculate during the mash, using the boiler element to heat the wort (I've got a voltage regulator wired in the control box to reduce the power of the element).
I've got a tea urn HLT and plan to batch sparge. recirculating during the sparge until the wort runs clear.
I got a lot of good advice from the ACE electric boiler thread - long, but worth the read. http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=54132
Colin

Latest posts

Back