10 gallon Burco. Worth getting?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveWTBD

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I have a chance of getting a working 10 gallon Burco, which I am guessing dates back to the 60s. It is galvanised outside and steely looking inside.

If I get this it will cost me my petrol money and about a fiver for the boiler, all in all somewhere in the region of £15.

Is this a worthwhile spend? I am planning to use if for BIAB brewing.

Cheers

Steve

Yes indeed, thats a very nice volume for a kettle when biab brewing, as you can probably go full volume no sparge to make things easy for a 5gallon brew and push the brewlength higher if you do some dunk/sparging

Yes indeed, thats a very nice volume for a kettle when biab brewing, as you can probably go full volume no sparge to make things easy for a 5gallon brew and push the brewlength higher if you do some dunk/sparging

Thanks Fil,

I realise that I will need to take a course in the arcane language of brewing. Dunk/sparging is new to me. Is that different to normal sparging?

Thanks Fil,

I realise that I will need to take a course in the arcane language of brewing. Dunk/sparging is new to me. Is that different to normal sparging?

Dunk sparging is when you lift the grain bag from the boiler, let it drain, then dunk it into say an FV with a few litres of water in, stir it a bit, then lift and drain. Tip the water into the boiler. It's quite efficient.

Thanks Fil,

sparge is the 'magic/secret' word for rinse ;) and a dunk sparge in a biab brew context is pulling the grain bag and dunking it in a big bucket of warm water to sparge/rinse off the sugars held in solution within the grain mass.

While it can all appear a lil daunting to start with once you have the first panic riddled brew under your belt like most things it all falls into place pretty rapidly ;)

Thanks for the advice on this.

In the end I decided it was more hassle than it was worth. By the time I had rewired it, cleaned it top to toe, getting rid of a load of lime scale deposits, and budgeted for replacing the tap and temper and controls, I would have been in the realms of marginal diminishing returns 🤓

I think I'll hang out for something newish, possibly a 40l reconditioned Buffalo, or a newer Burco.

Latest posts

Back