Leaking Mini Keg taps

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr_Unkenly

Not a real doctor
Reaction score
I have a mini keg which is slowly leaking around the internal tap and another one which looks like it has leaked a little bit and then stopped (bit of foamy residue by the tap).

Is it common for the kegs to develop leaks after a while or could this be the result of some kind of misuse on my part?

They are both the black tap with the red button type.

Are they bought ones or re-used? I've had mine for ages and they dont leak. I'd bin the leaky ones and buy new ones as they're only £6. Or buy some full of beer and re-use them

Re-used Bitburger kegs. Had them since last spring/summer and they've seen a fair few brews.

Extra annoying because I'm really short on kegs at the moment. If some of the others start to go, I'll have to drink a LOT of OSH/Hobgob/Bitburger to keep my brew pipeline going!

I have had occasional leaky taps of this type and find the other type of tap more reliable (simple turn to the left tap!). I simply binned the kegs when they started leaking as I didn't see any alternative.

Perhaps a couple of new empty/ready-to-go kegs may smooth your brew pipeline while you work hard at freeing up your other stock! :drunk:

I have had occasional leaky taps of this type and find the other type of tap more reliable (simple turn to the left tap!).

I thought all the tap mini kegs (easy kegs) were turn to the left type. Are there some that have push button taps like wine bags?

I ask because you can get adapters (vitop connectors) to fit a line to this type of tap which would be useful to me.

I thought all the tap mini kegs (easy kegs) were turn to the left type. Are there some that have push button taps like wine bags?

I ask because you can get adapters (vitop connectors) to fit a line to this type of tap which would be useful to me.

Most of the kegs sold in supermarkets with commercial ale in them seem to have push button taps. Even Old Speckled Hen (several of which I have with the 'turn left' tap) appear to have moved over to this type judging by the last couple of supermarkets that I saw them in .... and the 'hard to remove' bung too!

Push button is on the front though pic here - https://www.bathales.com/shop/ales/by-brand/gem/product/gem-microcask
... can the Vitop connector handle that?

Most of the kegs sold in supermarkets with commercial ale in them seem to have push button taps. Even Old Speckled Hen (several of which I have with the 'turn left' tap) appear to have moved over to this type judging by the last couple of supermarkets that I saw them in .... and the 'hard to remove' bung too!

Push button is on the front though pic here - https://www.bathales.com/shop/ales/by-brand/gem/product/gem-microcask
... can the Vitop connector handle that?

No, I don't think it would, but thanks for the info.

Latest posts

Back