Hello from Bratislava

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonesy_sk

Reaction score
Hi all, looking forward to gaining plenty of new information on here and hopefully Iĺl be able to help others in the future!
I am completely new to the Home Brew game, despite an (adult) lifetime steeped in beer. I live in Bratislava, where there is a keen interest in home brew yet my Slovak is not ready for their beer forums yet...

To get a thread going, I am looking to start at the advanced end of home brew by going full grain. My reasoning is:

- beer is so cheap (and pretty decent) in Slovakia I cannot see how kits/extract can compete
- raw supplies are cheaper than kits here
- I would prefer to spend money on equipment without having to upgrade in a few months.
- I am silly and I like a challenge!

I am wondering what will be more beneficial for me - collecting a tiered 3 part grain set and customise it for my purposes, or go straight in for one of these fancy (expensive) machines that could make life easier for me? Brew in a bag is also an option, yet I am fascinated by the whole complete process of full grain.

Anyone here with experience or hindsight over which course to take? Is a Bulldog or Grainfather worth saving for?

Cheers/na zdravie!

Welcome to the forum!
Sorry I can't help you on the Bulldog or Grainfather front as my kit consists of a simple bag in a cooler box mash tun and a Pico 32 lit. boiler. You don't need a lot of kit to make good beer, and different varieties of beer as well.
You will find lots of help on the forum, whichever route you take.
Cheers!

Hi!
Welcome to the forum.
The Klarstein microbrewery is about half the price of the Grainfather, but it does not come with a wort chiller.
I've just finished a two-vessel system using a tea urn and the ACE boiler/mash tun. I could have bought a Klarstein mico brewery for the same price, which would have been much more compact.
Here's a you Tube video of the Klarstein microbrewery: [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWldKJG4YhA[/ame]

Welcome to the Forum. :thumb:

The kit side of AG is all down to circumstances such as marriage, money, time and space.

If you're married it may take a long time to justify all the shiny stuff immediately. If you are short of money then starting small and DIY can save a lot of money. If you have the time then low-powered gear is okay. If you have limited space then a multi component kit is not feasible.

I suggest that before you do anything you work out what will be best for you (and your partner if applicable) before doing anything at all.

"Decide in haste and repent at leisure."
is a phrase absolutely made to temper the acquisition of brewing equipment.​

Enjoy! :thumb:

Welcome to the forum jonesy. I bought a Brewster last September, it produces much better beer than kits can, but as Dutto says above - ( he's a very wise and gifted geezer) - it depends what you can afford after SWMBO's had her hair done/legs painted/nails waxed etc, etc, etc, etc, etc,....:doh:

It's the world's greatest home brew forum, you'll get loads of advice here to help you choose which way you go. Keep us posted - good luck..! :thumb:

If that was sarcasm we meet at dawn ... :whistle:

... and if it wasn't many thanks, but you still can't borrow that tenner! :thumb:

Not sarcasm mate...!! I love your witty ditty's you post on here...always worth reading my friend......now.....about that tenner......:whistle:

Thanks for the welcome all. Of course, it's opened a (rather large) can of worms on how to get started but of course Dutto's kind philosophy clears it up. Thankfully the Mrs is on board and keen to help - as long as it doesn't take over the entire flat. Due to lack of space this is why I'm looking at the shiny stuff... I will update on what I go for - plenty of reading to be done on here
Jonesy

Latest posts

Back