Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > General Discussion > The Snug > Should older drivers be retested or have a competency assessment?

View Poll Results: Should older drivers be retested or have a competency assessment?
Yes. 22 78.57%
No. 6 21.43%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 20-04-2017, 07:19 PM   #51
terrym

Liked 1073 Times on 767 Posts
Likes Given: 519

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheQuokka View Post
Now you are challenging the laws of Physics to justify your far more dangerous aggressive and impatient driving style! The Energy of momentum is 0.5 times mass times velocity squared - and this is the energy that must be expended by brakes or in a collision. Of course lower speeds also allow a greater reaction time, suggest greater distances meaning better vision, etc.

It is perfectly OK to overtake a slower driver safely and legally, but if you are that impatient you are likely the greater danger.
Kinetic energy has little to do with elderly drivers as far as I am concerned.
My post concerned the inability of many elderly drivers to drive at speeds which are safe for other road users and within the speed limit, which in itself usually has a generous safety margin factored in e.g clear road ahead and no obvious hazards, and that creates a hazard, like it or not.
And I quoted from a source which had nothing to do with my personal driving style, and neither did I mention it.

Old 20-04-2017, 07:41 PM   #52
Ale

Liked 174 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 42

I would say older drivers should be retested but 70 is too young these days. maybe 75 or 80 would be a better starting point.

And young drivers are no better. I've just had to reverse about 250 yeards down a narrow road as some prick of a young driver outright refused to reverse the 20 yards ro so he need to to let me though. It took a lot of will power not to get out and knock the little s**t out.

geetee Likes This 
Old 20-04-2017, 08:26 PM   #53
dad_of_jon
A brewbie

Liked 818 Times on 616 Posts
Likes Given: 1496

with auto braking, lane departure and self parking already on the next car I'm looking at for mrs DOJ, perhaps the real skills needed to drive in the future will be IT related rather than your ability to steer and press the right pedal.

Name - style - abv% - no. left

Lawn Raker - Belgian Wit - 4.86% - 34
Galaxy Hop AIPA - 6.43% - 18
We'll wheat again FOTF version - 5.93% - 6
Downtown dubbel - belgian dubbel - 6.43% - 10
King Kong - Big black Belgian Quad - 12.86% - 22
East vs West - Belgian RIS - 9% - 40

Xmas 2017 - 6 each put aside

Stealth triple - Dark Triple - 7.22%
Ris-ky business - 10.37%
Sleighed in Belgium - 9.3%
King Kong - 12.86%
People Like This 
Old 21-04-2017, 10:53 AM   #54
Gunge

Liked 245 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 237

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad_of_jon View Post
with auto braking, lane departure and self parking already on the next car I'm looking at for mrs DOJ, perhaps the real skills needed to drive in the future will be IT related rather than your ability to steer and press the right pedal.
Aren't we all going to be in driverless cars anyway before long - thus rendering age-related competency tests irrelevant? Maybe they should instead have competency tests for filling in insurance forms. A cock-up on my part has resulted in my premium for a recently acquired Mazda go up by £160. I claimed full NCD earned on my motorbike and as a named driver on the missus' policy but apparently they're not transferable. Grrr,gnash etc.

Old 21-04-2017, 11:12 AM   #55
terrym

Liked 1073 Times on 767 Posts
Likes Given: 519

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ale View Post
I would say older drivers should be retested but 70 is too young these days. maybe 75 or 80 would be a better starting point.

And young drivers are no better. I've just had to reverse about 250 yeards down a narrow road as some prick of a young driver outright refused to reverse the 20 yards ro so he need to to let me though. It took a lot of will power not to get out and knock the little s**t out.
That's really frustrating.
I suppose you could have just toughed it out. Depends who was in the biggest hurry, and who else turned up.
My wife also had that a few years ago, because two misogynistic twats in a van wouldn't reverse, when it would have been easier for them to do so.

Old 24-04-2017, 03:24 AM   #56
cmwood64

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Years ago my Great Uncle had several strokes (he's dead now), but his doctor continued to sign him off as medically fit to drive as long as he didn't go too far! He only ever went up and down to the local shops as far as I know, but he had a manual transmission car and had very little strength on his left side so couldn't operate the clutch. In order to drive he had to get his wife to sit in the front passenger seat and swing her leg over the transmission tunnel to work the clutch so he could change gear! As far as I know he never actually had an accident, but he must have been a timebomb waiting to go off. Probably more luck than judgement that he didn't.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk