Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > General Beer Brewing Equipment Discussion > Newbie wanting to build Kegerator

Old 27-04-2017, 09:13 PM   #41
dazziep

Liked 16 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Having a bit of a nightmare getting 2 corny to fit in here
And managed to cut through a wire .. sorted that and still works but looks like I've more to cut out still.. ( hope there is nothing else hiding )

Attached Thumbnails
20170427_200458.jpg  

Old 28-04-2017, 01:25 PM   #42
dazziep

Finally managed to get both in.. had to hack away a lot of plastic and foam..

Not happy with the patch up I did with that wire either.. I just stuck a connector block on it, put some insulation tape round it and then hid it under that silver tape. But I'm nervous that if water somehow gets to it, it could make a connection to the silver tape which is touching the corny which is pumping fluid into the taps which I'm touching ..
I'm thinking it's just for the bulb or the door switch.. I might trace it and kill it.. I'm not bothered about the light anyway..

Attached Thumbnails
20170428_140701.jpg  

Old 28-04-2017, 01:43 PM   #43
dazziep

why do my photo sometimes appear sideways?? they are not like that on my phone??

Old 28-04-2017, 10:14 PM   #44
dazziep

Bugger my temp controller probe lead has snapped now it ain't working.. ah well that's just another challenge for me I ain't scared of electrics.. just ordered a digital temp controller on eBay like what they use in keezers im gonna replace it with that and bypass the compressor so it's always on and control it through my new controller if that makes sense
Has anyone done this before for a kegerator ? Is there any reason I don't know of that's this is bad and should I just buy a new thermostat instead?
Attached Thumbnails
20170428_161547.jpg  

Old Yesterday, 12:20 AM   #45
Fil

Liked 647 Times on 555 Posts
Likes Given: 25

lump the fridge onto a worktop before you attempt it unless your happy on your knees arse up in the air peering about looking for terminals .

rather than short out the circuit you have pictured above i would suggest it would be a lot safer to wire up directly to the compressor and loose the live connections running through the fridge.

No Problems at all with bypassing the fridge thermostat and internal electrics, its very common with brewfridges especially amongst those who like to lager their beers as you can achieve much lower temps after bypassing the built in temp control. You will in all probability also loose the internal fridge light but its not as if you will be searching packed shelves for the last piece of Belgian chocolate in there.
dazziep Likes This 
Old Yesterday, 11:26 AM   #46
dazziep

Nah not bothered about the light

I like the idea of wiring it up the the compressor so there are no live cables in the fridge that sounds exactly like what I need to do..

I'm not scared of electrics at all I have qualifications in electrics and electronics and have just about rewired my home (don't tell anyone that last bit though.. I'm not qualified for that )

BUT if never messed with a fridge compressor so any help or advice on rewiring that would be awesome and greatly appreciated..cheers.

Old Yesterday, 12:54 PM   #47
Fil

Liked 647 Times on 555 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I am not qualified to give any advise on this matter and my experience is limited to the 2 fridges i have modded, in both cases i traced the power flex into the fridge to a terminal bolck close to/on the compressor, where earth and neutral were terminated, both Neutral and Live were then also fed into the guts of the fridge towards the light and thermostat, and the live return from the thermostat back to drive the compressor was both the same guage as the brown live feed And was Black if it will be in yours??????

just go slow and use a meter to test continuity of wires your considering before you act, and if in doubt at all stop take a few pics and draw up a post for here 90% of the time working out the actual problem leads to the solution .

Remember to unplug from the mains before you delve in there and have respect for elecricity, it can kill.. be safe!