Doubling kits into 1 fv

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark_wato

Reaction score
Hi guys..

I have a geordie bitter kit ready to brew.. but was wondering, if i get another kit and maybe change the yeast...

Then add both kits to a standard 25L FV

will i get a stronger alcohol yield?

Not happy with 3.5 % really at the moment

Hi guys..

I have a geordie bitter kit ready to brew.. but was wondering, if i get another kit and maybe change the yeast...

Then add both kits to a standard 25L FV

will i get a stronger alcohol yield?

Not happy with 3.5 % really at the moment

Mark what ABV Do you want i will tell you what to do when i know:thumb:

Adding an extra kit will increase the ABV and all the flavours, if you just want more alcohol then just add more sugar, if you want to increase the body and ABV but not the hop flavour add DME (dried malt extract) or LME (liquid malt extract). Alternatively just use less water.

I put on a John Bull IPA on Tuesday, they come as 1.7kg kits and I added 1kg of BE and 50g of honey and got an SG of 1060. Normally my Wilko Gervin yeast will ferment out to 1008 giving me about 7% after conditioning. I'm using S04 for the first time so I'll see how it goes but I hope this gives you an idea of how extra fermentables bump up the ABV. Adding two one can kits into a 23L brew will effectively double your IBU count and be very bitter to drink whatever you do with it. Toucan kits will achieve a relatively normal IBU count by halving the IBU count in each tin to give a balanced bitterness over the whole brew. I have wondered about splitting a toucan kit and adding BE to one tin and a hop tea that's had the same boil schedule as you'd expect in an AG brew just to see how it comes out. I'm tempted to try this with a Wherry when Tesco have their next sale but when a Wherry has conditioned in the bottle for 3 months they're gorgeous so still in two minds about it.

I use a 1.5kg can of Liquid Malt Extract and a bit of Brewing sugar costs about £6 rather then the price of a whole extra kit.

Latest posts

Back