Grainfather Brew #9 Guinness Clone

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pawlo7671

Regular.
Reaction score
Well original Guinness.

4Kg Maris otter
250g black barley
250g roasted barley
500g Flaked barley
75g EKG 60 min

**** I forgot to put a protoflock in :doh: oh well it is what it is.

The grains
IMG_0647_zpsgl0rkykz.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The Grainfather
IMG_0649_zpsvoxcuhj7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Mash finished with a lovely clear wort
IMG_0650_zpscosfypvd.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The one and only hop addition
IMG_0652_zpse7yl3ycx.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Boiling like a good un
IMG_0653_zpssvdjh6rd.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Finally running the hot wort through the chiller to sterilize it before opening the cold supply before I transfer to FV
IMG_0654_zpsord6hyz4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I aimed for 20L but got 22L not to worry because its still coming out at 4.9% abv which is closer to what i was going for.

Pitched Safale S-04

Hope it goes ok as this is the first clone i'v tried to do.

Looks pretty good to me, both recipe and from the pictures. The lack of protofloc in a dark beer is not a big deal.

Dry stouts are great and many HB's make better beer than the current commercial version.

Looks pretty good to me, both recipe and from the pictures. The lack of protofloc in a dark beer is not a big deal.

Dry stouts are great and many HB's make better beer than the current commercial version.

I don't think it takes much to surpass the current commercial version. Although the guinness original in cans ( not the widget one ) isn't bad.

I had a pint of guinness surger in my local not so long ago and it was awful, a far cry from what it used to be like

I don't think it takes much to surpass the current commercial version. Although the guinness original in cans ( not the widget one ) isn't bad.

I had a pint of guinness surger in my local not so long ago and it was awful, a far cry from what it used to be like

Very principled addition of EKG as the bittering hop, BTW.

I would have chucked in any old stuff to get to ~ 40 IBU and used the Goldings for a light summer beer.

Very principled addition of EKG as the bittering hop, BTW.

I would have chucked in any old stuff to get to ~ 40 IBU and used the Goldings for a light summer beer.

It did cross my mind to bitter it with a higher AA hop but all the recipe's i looked at all called for EKG. I got enough grain for a 2nd batch so maybe then i'l chop and change, I may swap out the flaked barley for oats as i only got 500g of the stuff and have plenty of porridge oats doing nothing and as you say bitter it with something else. Still got 25g of the EKG left so might use that as a late hop addition to a pale ale.

It did cross my mind to bitter it with a higher AA hop but all the recipe's i looked at all called for EKG. I got enough grain for a 2nd batch so maybe then i'l chop and change, I may swap out the flaked barley for oats as i only got 500g of the stuff and have plenty of porridge oats doing nothing and as you say bitter it with something else. Still got 25g of the EKG left so might use that as a late hop addition to a pale ale.

Way to go m8 chuffed ta bitz!
I'm smiling like s goodun!
Knew you can do it!
You made me do a brew yesterday!! Mind without the black and changed the hops to challenger!
Now u see how edicted this HB'ing lark is!!
Experimenting is the key....doing 'safe' and tried recipes turn the brain to expand to all new levels...some good...some bad..but learning about the mistakes..is part n parcel..
I've only been Ag brewing for four years, 30 odd years HB'ing and I can say...I have more to learn.
Thx for us doing our guiness clone..be good for another type of brew in future..like a brew off!!! Lol
But no ones a winner! Just enjoying our selfs...good crack! And learning..
Long way to go...well anyways to the bottling or keg phase haha!
Keep it going pal...
I'll be right behind ya.
Lata
Bri

Cheers bri, I thought i'd put up a picture of the grainfather complete with tea strainer just for you :lol: now comes the hard part, waiting

Experimenting is the key....doing 'safe' and tried recipes turn the brain to expand to all new levels...some good...some bad..but learning about the mistakes..is part n parcel..

Exactly, start with something thats tried and tested and then tweak it here and there, thats the brilliant thing about all grain the level of customization is mind blowing

Cheers bri, I thought i'd put up a picture of the grainfather complete with tea strainer just for you :lol: now comes the hard part, waiting

Haha!! Knew you'd mention the tea strainer! I've bought one...hope it works! A couple of quid mind!
Haven't looked at the progress of mine...normally the first thing I done :thumb:
Happy HB'ing
Bri

What are you expecting the FG to be? Just split a batch between WLP004 and WLP007 and both finished at 1014. Maybe i am using too much RB. Actually quite a lot of sugar in it when its concentrated.

I hope to get around 1014. Its my first all grain stout and first attempt at using non base malt grains.

I suspect that there was a (fairly recent) time when flaked barley was cheaper than malted. Also a time when EKGs were the only practically available English hop.

So I suggest adding the remaining flaked barley, making up the rest with white sugar and using a bittering hop, so as to do a Summer Ale with the wondrous Goldings (and derivatives).

I hope to get around 1014. Its my first all grain stout and first attempt at using non base malt grains.

I just bottled my last batch and it finished at 1014. Only 3.7% though so was expecting it to go lower. I am getting into American Stout which is basically the same recipe with more hops and mashed at 65c with US-05. I bet your looking forward to sampling it.

Back