Help needed - stuck irish stout!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mak

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi All

I'm doing Coopers BrewMaster irish stout at the moment, it was pretty lively for 3 days at 20-22 degrees and then seems to have stopped. 3 days later and it's still at 1016 (OG 1036).

What do I do? I used a kg of Coopers Liquid Malt extract instead of dextrose.

Hope someone can help, I had high hopes for this brew! :oops:

Have you had 3 days at 1016 or has it been fermenting for 3-days? If it's the latter I'd leave it alone for another week. It may appear to have stopped but probably hasn't.

There's a sticky somewhere that explains what to do if it's really stuck (i.e. 3 days at 1016)... essentially, give it a gentle stir with a sanitised spoon/paddle to rouse the yeast taking care not to introduce oxygen. I've tried this on a couple of brews that were stuck at 1020 and it worked a treat.

Thanks Jonny, it has been fermenting for 3 days and now sat for an additional 4 doing nothing, I have given it a stir as you suggest and it didn't seem to make much difference... I didn't stir up the gunge at the bottom though, should I be stirring that up too?

I've stirred it 3 times now and still no response... should I try more yeast? I have some yeast from a cider tin that was damaged in shipping, will that work? If not, what should I buy?

lost for what to do.... :(

Latest posts

Back