Commercial beer reviews

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewtim

Landlord.
Reaction score
Is it me or is any ale that has been hopped to death given a really high score and anything a bit more malty seems to always get a low score on the beer review sites?

I quite like a malty but balanced ale and whenever I taste a new one in a pub I go looking for the recipe and the reviews always have a low score, a couple of examples are Brains Rev James and Upham Punter, both great tasting ales, nicely balanced hops and malt.

Is it just the trend that alot of people like the more lager hoppy tasting 'hopped to death' IPA's, than the balanced bitters?

:hmm:

IMO it's the innovation effect. Our beer has effectively stagnated, along with hop development for decades.

Along come the yanks with new hops and styles and capture the imagination of the beer drinking public without beards, sandals and elbow patches and the well produced balanced English bitters and Scottish ales and other more traditional styles don't fair so well despite the quality of the brew.

It's just an over-compensation from the pond water of the past, give it time and people will fall in love with malt all over again.

At least our brewers are now sitting up and taking notice, real beer sales are up significantly in a sector which is failing badly at the moment. They are turning out products that people are enthused about.

Hopped to death? I don't think that's possible... ;)

Back