Black roast barley = Black patent?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suj1980

Reaction score
Hello - I'll be attempting my second brew next weekend, which is a slightly modified version of the Mill Run Stout recipe by Palmer. I am using DME plus steeping some specialty grains.

The recipe calls for 1/2 lb. of "Black Roast Barley"

Without thinking things through, I ended up ordering something called "Black - crushed grains 500g (Warminster)" from thehomebrewcompany and then realized there were several variations of black malt, roasted malt, roasted black malt, black patent etc out there, and I can't quite figure out what is what, or if these are even different malts at all!

Did I order the right thing? And these both the same as Black Patent? If I can figure out what I bought, then I can modify the recipe accordingly.

I have used it, made a great pint
This is produced by roasting pale malt as far as possible without burning. It is the preferred darkener in sweeter Stouts and Porters and can be used for minor colour adjustments in other beers. Colour 1400 EBC; Maximum percentage 10%

tq8o.jpg
[/URL]
viewtopic.php?f=14&p=443980#p443980
:thumb:

Black malt just adds color...Roasted Barley adds color flavour and mouthfeel

piddledribble said:
Black malt just adds color...Roasted Barley adds color flavour and mouthfeel

yup your right
i used carafa 111
and chocolate malt as well as
the black was added after and I just sparged over it for colour
:drink:

Thanks for your responses! Can you advise as to how much black malt is TOO much black malt? I've read elsewhere that it can impart a fairly harsh flavour.

suj1980 said:
Thanks for your responses! Can you advise as to how much black malt is TOO much black malt? I've read elsewhere that it can impart a fairly harsh flavour.

not to use more than 10% of total grain bill

suj1980 said:

Don't use to much it does impart a harsh flavour.

I've more or less stopped using Black and replaced it with Roasted Barley in all brews

Latest posts

Back