Coopers stout stuck?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dickiedavis

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a coopers stout in the fv, has been there for 2 weeks at around 18 degrees. I brewed it with 1kg of BKE2, 300g of brown sugar and some yeast nutrient. I also used wilkos ale yeast instead of the kit yeast.

SG was 1044, but after 2 weeks it has only dropped to 1014 - is this stuck, do you reckon?

A gentle stir and a bit of a warm up needed?

Never had a coopers stick before...

How come you swapped the yeast? The coopers stout yeast is normally an excellent worker. Give it a really gentle stir carefully not to splash it, then leave it for a few more days :cheers:

Dropped the coopers yeast all over the kitchen floor. Luckily I had the wilkos stuff in the fridge. Never drink and brew kids...never drink and brew. :doh:

Will give it a stir tomorrow.

Cheers!

I did mine at a similar temperature with roughly the same ingredients and it got stuck too. I left it quite a while and tried stirring but it wasn't going anywhere. I still bottled it though and it tastes great despite the problems I had. A few stuck when I was fermenting at about 18C.

I've had much better luck with brewing in a room that's slightly warmer (about 21C) but haven't tried the coopers again since then. Every beer since moving to a new room has been bang on target so maybe your temp is a little low for that beer.

Bumped the temp up to 20 degs last night and I think it's bubbling a bit now. Will give it a gentle stir later and see what happens. Maybe it was getting cold overnight.

brewed this before Christmas with 1kg dme, 500g dark brown sugar and tin of treacle. Brewed for 14 days and it also only reached 1.014, tested over 3 days and it turned out a lovely pint, so if it don't come down any further all is not lost.
PS this was with the coopers yeast.

Latest posts

Back