Every night shift has a silver lining.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

polypusher

Reaction score
Just had a pretty **** night at work, just 'one of those days' (well nights). So thought sod it im off for me breki in spoons. Totally slipped my mind that the Real Ale Festival is in full swing now.
Ordered full english 'as you do' and sat here now supping a 6.5% New Zeland IPA by Yeastie Boys.
Dry leafed with what seems the be copious amounts of Earl Grey tea?!
Really really refreshing, gorgeous hop aroma, the tea is pretty full on on both the nose and taste but in no way overshadowing the hops. Not sure what hops are in it but smell/taste really works. Quite sweet with a slight bittrness.

I tell you this though, it hides its strength bloody well indeed (I can see this creeping up on you rather rapidly), with just the hint of alcohol once the tea and hops have faded.

Anyway silver lining and all that!

**Got me thinking of modding a kit with the whole tea thing**

No different to doing a day shift and having a 6.5% beer at 7pm. Sounds like a tasty beer, I'll have to see if they have it near here.

Berk said:
No different to doing a day shift and having a 6.5% beer at 7pm. Sounds like a tasty beer, I'll have to see if they have it near here.

Heh, thanks :thumb:
You do get a few funny looks though. Its my bloody tea time now :cheers:

Quick pic of Yeastie Boys (Super Tasty!)

oz11 said:
Hops are given as Motueka, Pacifica and Southern Cross in the program notes.

6.5% beer at 10am :shock: :grin:

Thanks for the Hop List :thumb:

They have a Green King, Double Hop Monster IPA on aswell 7.5%. Think ill try that one before I leave ;)

Heh :cheers:
The Yeastie Boys is a cracking brew. Super refreshing if a tad strong for a lunch pint.
See what they have on :thumb:

I do wonder if its the same options nationally, week to week like?

So... went for the Double Hop Monster @ 7.2% ;) (I originally thought it said 7.5% on t'tap)
Bloodyhell, no wonder its called Hop monster....Super and i mean Super Hoppy aroma, Super Bitter taste, but with some nice citrus and floral notes underneath all that. Not sure what to make of it tbh,
I really enjoyed the yeastie boys ipa, great blend of the tea and hops.
This just smacks you in the face giving it beans in all departments, still wierdly balanced though.

I was pleasantly surprised too! dropped a friend off on Saturday night and was chuffed to see they had bottles of brewdog punk IPA which I have been looking to try for a while! I would of grabbed a pint of cask but was pretty short on time.

krazypara3165 said:
I was pleasantly surprised too! dropped a friend off on Saturday night and was chuffed to see they had bottles of brewdog punk IPA which I have been looking to try for a while! I would of grabbed a pint of cask but was pretty short on time.

Aye two for fiver aswell. They do the New York sixpoint cans aswell. There included in the free drinks on certain food aswell. Some nice brews them be, was dubious of tin flavour ar first by bloodyhell they taste fresh.
Havent seen punk ipa on cask, must have missed it.
(Or did you mean any cask?)

polypusher said:
krazypara3165 said:

Aye two for fiver aswell. They do the New York sixpoint cans aswell. There included in the free drinks on certain food aswell. Some nice brews them be, was dubious of tin flavour ar first by bloodyhell they taste fresh.
Havent seen punk ipa on cask, must have missed it.
(Or did you mean any cask?)

yeah I meant any cask, bargain at two for a fiver!

Aye, a reet bargain.
The missus quite likes the old sweet action :whistle: whilst the Bengali tiger was for me.
Its great they are offering them as part of the meal deal. Especially for curry night. Its just bread and butter tackle that...Super nice beers!

We're off to new york in sep for honeymoon so if you want any orders in hurry up :cheers:

The double hop monster IPA was just being put on as I arrived and with a name like that it needs to deliver.... but it didn't. I would like to try it again as this didn't have a lot of condition and it just seemed fairly muddled.

At the other end of the scale the Hilden Nut Brown was in good nick and I could drink a lot of that. Plum porter was, well, plummy and Sheps IPA was just sheps.

Managed to get a copy of the festival booklet with tasting notes.
Good read whilst having a brew.

Speaking to the duty manager this morning, he said that they get two barrels of each ale and when it's gone they put on a new one. So it's completely random what's on when.
Shame about the Monster IPA, was in your face hoppy whe I had it today.
Still preferred the yeastie boys IPA, that tea flavour was brilliant.

Just picked up a wherry in the 25% off sale at wilkos just now.
Thinking if you could dry hop that with some earl? God knows, probably just brew it as is with me just starting out.

Haha just to make you all jealous. I am one of those duty managers :p so get to try all of the beers...... Love the two weeks of ale fest. Waiting for the yeastie boys to come on.....

Mr Duty Manager. Where you based? Bet you love your job this time of year eh!

You fancy sending me some nice beer glasses? :whistle:

just put this on in my pub. Amazing brew, the white out cloudy beer is a little wishy washy but goes down way too easy.

While your there honestly try the mini keg ales from sixpoint. Some serious dry hopping going on with them. The cans are sprayed with a layer of plastic to keep the ale fresh. Sweet action isn't to my liking but "The Crisp" and "Bengali Tiger" are good. not sure about your local but in my pub is 2 for a fiver.

Or ask them about sixpoint saturdays for a free taster :)

Latest posts

Back