Every night shift has a silver lining.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I worked nights for a few years, it was a blessing when 'spoons started serving beer as soon as they opened. A few of us from work would go for 'breakfast' and a beer, it was almost like we were normal people, going for a beer after work.

Aye, sixpoint tins are pretty good. Me missus loves them! I do hope she doesn't end up liking the golden stag when that's done! Ha.
Have to agree about the Yeastie Boys brew, far too sinkable! Tasty tasty though. If I didn't have to stay in for a parcel delivery today I'd nip in for one.....well two.

it was almost like we were normal people, going for a beer after work.
Haha, I know exactly what you mean.

Before spoons opened and we bought the house. Lived a bit further away so I used to nip in bargain booze for a few tins :eek:, at that early in the morning though, your thrown in with the local tramp community picking up their breakfast special brews!

I like the sound of the White Out, just reading the tasting notes on it now.
Sounds blooming lovely stuff.....I wish this parcel would hurry the hell up!

Last edited:
Mr Duty Manager. Where you based? Bet you love your job this time of year eh!

You fancy sending me some nice beer glasses? :whistle:

Haha I do like it yea. Except I was the poor bugger who had to sort out 70 9 gallon barrels into order of sale. To make sure we had a good mix of beer on at any one time. I'm based in bracknell. But hopefully should be moving by the end of the year, maybe even getting my own pub.

Every duty manager hopes for his/her own pub :-) I only had 24 barrels to sort out. We aren't a ale pub but they allocated us 10 originally had that changed to 22 and I've only got 7 left now. We are doing great this year.

Supping a pint after your shift finishes reminds me of when I used to work next to Smithfields Meat Market in London.
I worked normal office hours, so would walk into work in the morning, often having had a few too many beers the night before so may still be feeling a bit tender. The market porters were often to be found supping their brews outside the nearby pub at 8am wearing their blood splattered white coats after a long shift. It always used to turn my stomach as I hadn't even had breakfast, but if I were working their shift, I am sure I would be happy to throw down a few pints after work!!

After a long hard week, I thought I'd treat myself to (another) breakfast.
Ordered the 3 1/3 pint glasses for the price of one ale.
20140404_104301_zps5a86a874.jpg

Left to right:
Standeaven African Pale Ale 4.2%
Hildegard's Solange 6.0%
Zeunerts Swedish IPA 5.5%

The APA is quite nice. Nothing special, the cascade is subtle but works well. Can see a few of these going down easily.
The Solange now, pleasant sweet aromas which follow through on the taste. Very refreshing this one, you wouldn't say it was 6.0% at all.
Just starting the IPA, now we're talking! I do like this! (I think I'm starting to develop a liking for cascade, every time I really like a brew I notice it's being used) Nice. Cracking IPA this, really balanced hop character aswell. Think I'll be ordering a pint of this when I've finished this third.

The three 1/3 Pint beers is a cracking idea, especially for the same price of a full pint. Saves you buying a pint of each only to find that you don't take to some or there a bit thin.

I bet that was I sight at that time of day!

There's nothing like having a pint or toe after a night shift. Especially when summers in full swing, sat outside at 8-9am really warm morning, brilliant.

Worse stumbling down the road half cut at half ten to the Co-Op to buy a few more bottles and a mountain of Rustler's burgers!

Haha, the old rustlers eh. Bloodyhell, not had one of those one minute wonders in ages.
I find it funny how they put a sachet of pickle sauce thats akin to Maccyds in there......you cant polish a turd eh. Ha.
Still tasty after a few though!

Every duty manager hopes for his/her own pub :-) I only had 24 barrels to sort out. We aren't a ale pub but they allocated us 10 originally had that changed to 22 and I've only got 7 left now. We are doing great this year.

We are and ale pub with 9 pumps, have done 46 casks this week :-D

As we are talking wetherspoons, thought this article I was reading today would intresest some and wondered what peoples opinions are?

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...04/wetherspoon-pubs-real-ale-beer-high-street

Good read that.
The way I see it is that theres absolutely no way for me to try a whole range of ales anywhere near to where I live. To me the wetherspoons round the corner is great. Lots to choose from, grest staff. Burger and a pint for 7quid when you can't be a***d cooking.
I can see why in sone areas they'd be frowned upon but round here its a definite welcome addition.
Its just a great place to br learning about new and different beer.

Me and the wife had a few tasters at the spoons in Cardiff bay last week and the yeastie boys was her fave tipple.
As a newbie beer kit brewer I was thinking of modifying (part of) my next wilko golden ale kit with a strong cup of earl grey and some hops.
My fave was the solange, really really nice but you know it would take your legs with out you knowing after too many (which wouldn't be a lot).

Yeastie Boys as a cracking pint. Had a few the other day.
Solange was nice but at 6.0%....

Had a couple of El Dorado 5.0% yesterday! really nice pint that. Very refreshing.

I was thinking doing the same. Going the earl grey route that is.
Need to find a nice straight ale ripe for modding, thinking my wherry but not sure. Best to brew it as is first so I'll know the difference between thems when I do mod it.

Well I'm drinkhbg my first golden ale at the moment and have another two on the way (wilko sale). Its a lively drink, quite sweet so ready for bittering.

Latest posts

Back