AG #3 'Gold'

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RZH

Reaction score
Meant to post this ages ago, but this is one I brewed back at the start of September. Wanted to steer myself away from hop bombs and brew something more traditional. Went for a basic golden ale, but threw in a little twist at the end. Decided to split the batch in 2 and dry hop with British and US hops respectively. Here's the recipe:

L31D3Qo.png

As an experiment I decided to split the 20 litre batch in two and dry hop one half with 30g of EKG and the other half with 30g of Cascade I had lying around, purely to see how much of a difference it made.

Hit targets pretty much bang on, and used US-05. Got down to 1.012 giving a final ABV of 4.4%.

Pictures:

SeZJeCH.jpg

DFELWBE.jpg

Not sure why I wrote 60g...

Bottling day was a 'mare, the tap fell of my bottling bucket halfway through. Just about managed to save it!:thumb:

The finished product! I love making myself labels, it's good fun. It's still my dream to have my own brewery one day.

21Xad5v.jpg

Managed to leave this one 3 weeks before touching it, really happy with what I've made. My Uncle said it tasted like something he'd buy in a pub which is nice, I'll happily admit I've paid good money for worse tasting beers when out.

a1o4dpc.jpg

Lovely bit of chill haze haha... I've since discovered that this beer is not as good when chilled right down like some. Nicely cool is where it is best.

Xbt4TGB.jpg

Not sure how well it comes across, but I was very happy with the clarity I managed to achieve -- I know clarity isn't everything, but I feel it does add to the experience when it doesn't look like gravy... :lol:

In conclusion, I definitely prefer the UK version of this. Much smoother and very drinkable.

I learned something very important through this, that being how dry-hopping can still impart noticeable bitterness. The US version is definitely more bitter and the two beers taste very different to one another. Fascinating!

Anyway, AG#4 report to follow, cheers! :cheers:

Latest posts

Back